- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Read material to determine index items and arrange them alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Write and edit news stories from information collected by reporters and other sources.
- Compose and edit scripts or provide screenwriters with story outlines from which scripts can be written.
||Reporters and Correspondents
- Revise work to meet editorial approval or to fit time or space requirements.
- Review written, audio, or video copy and correct errors in content, grammar, or punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
||Broadcast News Analysts
- Edit news material to ensure that it fits within available time or space.
- Edit or rewrite existing copy as necessary, and submit copy for approval by supervisor.
||Interpreters and Translators
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials.
||Public Relations Specialists
- Prepare or edit organizational publications, such as employee newsletters or stockholders' reports, for internal or external audiences.
||Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary
- Review manuscripts for professional journals.
||Radio and Television Announcers
- Prepare and deliver news, sports, or weather reports, gathering and rewriting material so that it will convey required information and fit specific time slots.
||English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Review manuscripts for publication in professional journals.