17-2199.05 - Mechatronics Engineers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Mechatronics engineers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Manufacturing — This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services — This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" to the green economy which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Design or develop automated control systems for environmental applications, such as waste processing, air quality, or water quality systems.
- Design self-monitoring mechanical systems, such as gear systems that monitor loading or condition of systems to detect and prevent failures.
- Monitor or calibrate automated systems, industrial control systems, or system components to maximize efficiency of production.