Details Report for:
25-1121.00 - Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in drama, music, and the arts including fine and applied art, such as painting and sculpture, or design and crafts. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Sample of reported job titles: Art History Professor, Art Instructor, Art Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Instructor, Music Instructor, Music Professor, Professor, Theatre Professor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk Maya for Design Visualization
- Computer based training software — Blackboard; Course management system software; Learning management system LMS; Moodle (see all 7 examples)
- Data base management system software — MySQL
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign ; QuarkXpress
- Development environment software — Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Suite; Microsoft Visual Studio ; PhoneGap
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator ; Faux Labs Splashup; Next Limit Maxwell Render; The Pixel Farm PFTrack (see all 7 examples)
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Music or sound editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Audition; Apple Logic Pro; Pure Data PD; Sonic Studio (see all 6 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Linux
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects; Apple Final Cut Pro; Pixar RenderMan Studio; The Foundry Nuke (see all 6 examples)
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air compressors — Portable air compressors
- Anvils — Tinsmithing anvils
- Audio analog to digital AD converter — Analog to digital audio converters
- Audio mixing consoles — Digital mixing consoles
- Automatic bar machine — Machine lathes
- Automatic lathe or chucking machine — Wood lathes
- Belt sander — Belt sanders
- Blow torch — Oxygen torches
- Carving tools — Pneumatic carving equipment
- Cassette players or recorders — Multitrack recording systems
- Cinematographic cameras — Sound stage cameras
- Clay or modeling tools — Pug mills; Slab rollers
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Crimping pliers — Beading tools
- Desktop computers
- Digital audio workstation DAW — Digital audio workstations
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Digital voice recorders — Audio recording equipment
- Disc sander — Power disc sanders
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses
- Dry kiln fired clay — Clay firing kilns
- Enameling Kilns — Burnout kilns
- Engravers — Engraving equipment
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Extruders for modeling materials — Modeling material extruders
- Floor stands — Model stands
- Focus spots — Stage spotlights
- Hammers — Reshaping hammers; Tinsmithing hammers
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Hydraulic press brake — Sheet metal brakes
- Infrared imagers — Infrared camera tracking systems
- Inkjet printers — Computer inkjet printers; Poster printers
- Intaglio or lithography printing presses — Printmaking presses; Tabletop presses
- Kilns for firing ceramics — Gas-fired kilns
- Laminators — Laminating equipment
- Laser cutting machine — Laser cutting equipment
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Loudspeakers — Surround sound systems
- Manual press brake — Magnetic finger brakes
- Metal crucibles
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Metronomes — Electronic metronomes
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- Milling machines — Computer numerical control CNC routers; Computer numerical control CNC vertical knee mills
- Miter saw — Sliding compound miter saws
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Musical instrument effects unit — Experimental hyperinstruments
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Offset printing presses — Vendercook presses
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Paint application system — Paint booths
- Paint brushes — Artists' paint brushes
- Paper cutters or refills — Paper cutters
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Plasma cutting machine — Plasma cutters
- Platen covers — Platen presses
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Power sanders — Oscilliating spindle sanders
- Power saws — Band saws; Metal cutting band saws; Sliding table saws
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Sand blasting machine — Sandblasting guns
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Scroll saw — Scroll saws
- Sewing machines — Commercial sewing machines
- Shears — Foot shears
- Sheet metal forming machine — Slip rollers
- Silkscreen screens or printing stations — Silkscreen machines
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Spot welding machine — Spot welders
- Spray booth — Negative pressure spray booths
- Stage or studio lamps — General stage lighting
- Surface grinding machine — Surface grinding machines
- Synthesizer — Computerized synthesizers
- Tablet computers
- Tangent bender — Hossfield metal benders
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Thermal binding machine — Book presses
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Tube bending machine — Hydraulic tubing benders
- Tungsten inert gas welding machine — Tungsten inert gas TIG welders
- Vacuum molding machines — Vacuum casting equipment
- Vertical turning center — Computer numerical control CNC vertical lathes
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Wood easels — Wood art easels
- Teach humanities courses at the college level.
- Evaluate student work.
- Tutor students who need extra assistance.
- Guide class discussions.
- Develop instructional materials.
- Maintain student records.
- Coordinate student extracurricular activities.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Prepare tests.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Direct department activities.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Maintain facilities.
- Repair structural components.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Display student work.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Write grant proposals.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1122.00||Communications Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1123.00||English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1193.00||Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-2022.00||Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-2031.00||Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-3011.00||Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors|
|25-4012.00||Curators Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$69,960 annual|
|Employment (2018)||119,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Faster than average (7% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||11,100|
|Top industries (2018)||
Educational Services (99% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Actors' Equity Association
- AIGA, the professional association for design
- American Association of University Professors
- American Federation of Musicians
- American Musicological Society
- American Society for Theatre Research
- American String Teachers Association
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education
- College Art Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Association for Music Education
- National Association of Teachers of Singing
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Postsecondary teachers
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- The College Music Society
- United States Institute for Theatre Technology