Summary Report for:
53-3054.00 - Taxi Drivers
Drive a motor vehicle to transport passengers on an unplanned basis and charge a fare, usually based on a meter.
Sample of reported job titles: Cab Driver, Taxi Cab Driver, Taxi Driver
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Collect fares or vouchers from passengers and make change or issue receipts as necessary.
- Communicate with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Complete accident reports when necessary.
- Determine fares based on trip distances and times, using taximeters and fee schedules, and announce fares to passengers.
- Drive taxicabs or privately owned vehicles to transport passengers.
- Follow relevant safety regulations and state laws governing vehicle operation and ensure that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Notify dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.
- Perform minor vehicle repairs, such as cleaning spark plugs, or take vehicles to mechanics for servicing.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance, such as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Pick up passengers at prearranged locations, at taxi stands, or by cruising streets in high traffic areas.
- Provide passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles and help them with any luggage.
- Provide passengers with information about the local area and points of interest or give advice on hotels and restaurants.
- Report to taxicab services or garages to receive vehicle assignments.
- Test vehicle equipment, such as lights, brakes, horns, or windshield wipers, to ensure proper operation.
- Turn the taximeter on when passengers enter the cab and turn it off when they reach the final destination.
- Vacuum and clean interiors and wash and polish exteriors of automobiles.
- Data base user interface and query software — Actsoft Comet; Penchant Software dispatchOffice; TranWare Enterprise Suite
- Mobile location based services software — Digital Dispatch; Easy Dispatch; Piccolo Software PiccoloTaxi; TSS Wireless Fleet Management Suite (see all 8 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Web page creation and editing software — Facebook
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Alarm systems — Alarms
- Automobiles or cars — Taxicabs
- Distance meters — Taximeters
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Instant messaging platform — Text messaging equipment
- Lifts — Wheelchair lifts
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Sport utility vehicles SUVs
- Location based messaging service platforms — Satellite linkup systems
- Magnetic stripe readers and encoders — Credit card processing machines
- Minivans or vans — Vans
- Mobile phones — Smartphones
- Notebook computers — Mobile data computers
- Point of sale POS receipt printers — Mobile electronic funds transfer point of sale EFTPOS printers
- Point of sale POS terminal — Mobile electronic funds transfer point of sale EFTPOS equipment
- Security cameras
- Surveillance video or audio recorders — Closed-circuit TV cameras
- Tablet computers
- Thin client computers — Communications computers
- Two way radios
Detailed Work Activities
- Clean vehicles or vehicle components.
- Drive passenger vehicles.
- Maintain vehicles in good working condition.
- Provide transportation information to passengers or customers.
- Assist passengers during vehicle boarding.
- Calculate costs of goods or services.
- Collect fares or payment from customers.
- Communicate with others to coordinate vehicle movement.
- Follow safety procedures for vehicle operation.
- Inspect motor vehicles.
- Prepare accident or incident reports.
- Receive information or instructions for performing work assignments.
- Report vehicle or equipment malfunctions.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
Employment data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
Industry data for Passenger Vehicle Drivers, Except Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity.
|Median wages (2020)||$15.54 hourly, $32,320 annual|
|Employment (2019)||853,300 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Much faster than average (8% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||104,000|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.