- Listen to customer requests, referring to alphabetical or geographical directories to answer questions and provide telephone information.
- Operate telephone switchboards and systems to advance and complete connections, including those for local, long distance, pay telephone, mobile, person-to-person, and emergency calls.
||Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
- Receive incoming telephone or alarm system calls regarding emergency and non-emergency police and fire service, emergency ambulance service, information, and after-hours calls for departments within a city.
- Answer routine inquiries, and refer calls not requiring dispatches to appropriate departments and agencies.
||Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Answer incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.
- Monitor emergency and code alarms, make emergency announcements, or route emergency calls to the appropriate location.
||Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
- Interview clients and take their calls to provide customer service and obtain information on claims.
||Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen, or forward calls, providing information, taking messages, or scheduling appointments.
- Answer incoming phone calls.
||Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Perform clerical tasks, such as answering phones or distributing mail.
- Answer telephone calls to assist computer users encountering problems.
- Receive and place telephone calls.
||Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Perform patient services, such as answering the telephone or assisting patients with financial or medical questions.
- Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate staff.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as answering telephone calls, filing court documents, or maintaining office supplies or equipment.
||Word Processors and Typists
- Perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes.
||Office Clerks, General
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
||Library Assistants, Clerical
- Perform clerical activities, such as answering phones, sorting mail, filing, typing, word processing, and photocopying and mailing out material.
||Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Perform general office duties, such as filing, answering telephones, and handling routine correspondence.
- Answer telephones and assist customers with their questions.