17-3029.02 - Electrical Engineering Technologists
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Electrical engineering technologists work in the following green economy sectors:
- Manufacturing — This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services — This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" to the green economy which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Assemble or test solar photovoltaic products, such as inverters or energy management systems.
- Build or test electrical components of electric-drive vehicles or prototype vehicles.
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable or nonsustainable designs.
- Construct and evaluate electrical components for consumer electronics applications such as fuel cells for consumer electronic devices, power saving devices for computers or televisions, and energy efficient power chargers.
- Create or modify electrical components to be used in renewable energy generation.
- Evaluate electrical engineering plans to determine whether they comply with applicable environmental standards.
- Participate in the development or testing of electrical aspects of new green technologies, such as lighting, optical data storage devices, or energy efficient televisions.
- Test sustainable materials for their applicability to electrical engineering systems or system designs.