Details Report for:
19-1029.02 - Molecular and Cellular Biologists
Research and study cellular molecules and organelles to understand cell function and organization.
Sample of reported job titles: Molecular Biology Director, Molecular Biology Professor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — Minitab ; NetPrimer; RasMol; Textco BioSoftware Gene Inspector (see all 27 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Mathsoft Mathcad
- Data base user interface and query software — Deoxyribonucleic acid DNA libraries
- Data mining software
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Molecular Devices Corporation MetaMorph
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Automated microscope stages — Automated microscopes
- Benchtop centrifuges — Tabletop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Laboratory binocular optical microscopes
- Centrifuge tubes
- Chemical or gas sterilizers — Laboratory chemical autoclaves
- Complementary deoxyribonucleic acid cDNA synthesis kits — Deoxyribonucleic acid DNA synthesizers
- Deoxyribonucleic sequence analyzers — Automated DNA sequencing equipment
- Desktop computers
- Dry baths or heating blocks — Heat blocks
- Dry wall single chamber carbon dioxide incubators — Automatic carbon dioxide CO2 incubators
- Electron guns — Phosphorimagers
- Electronic multichannel pipetters — Multichannel micropipettes
- Electrophoresis system accessories — Electrophoresis cameras
- Eyewashers or eye wash stations — Emergency eye wash stations
- Floor centrifuges — Laboratory floor centrifuges
- Fluorescent microscopes — Fluorescence microscopes
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Chemical hoods
- Gas chromatographs — Gas chromatography equipment
- Gel documentation systems — Gel electrophoresis equipment
- General cloning vectors — Cloning kits
- General purpose refrigerators or refrigerator freezers — Laboratory freezers
- Heating or drying equipment or accessories — Dessicators
- High pressure liquid chromatograph chromatography — High pressure liquid chromatograph HPLC equipment
- Hybridization ovens or incubators — Nucleic acid hybridization ovens
- Immunology or serology test kits or supplies — Serological kits
- Inverted microscopes — Inverted binocular microscopes
- Laboratory balances — Microbalances
- Laboratory beakers — Glass beakers
- Laboratory dishes — Cloning cylinders
- Laboratory vacuum pumps
- Laminar flow cabinets or stations — Laminar flow hoods
- Manual or electronic hematology differential cell counters — Automated cell counters
- Manual single channel positive displacement pipetters — Manual single channel positive displacement pipettes
- Manual single channel repeating pipetters
- Mass spectrometers
- Medical computed tomography CT or CAT scanners or tubes — Computerized axial tomography CAT scanners
- Medical magnetic resonance imaging MRI scanners — Magnetic resonance imaging MRI systems
- Microbiology analyzers — Flow cytometers
- Microplate readers
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers — Nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectroscopes
- Orbital shakers — Laboratory orbital shakers
- Pasteur or transfer pipettes — Laboratory transfer pipettes
- Personal computers
- pH meters — pH analyzers
- Photo attachments for microscopes — Charge-coupled device CCD cameras
- Plate incubators — Bacterial plate incubators
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Rapid amplification or complementary deoxyribonucleic acid ends RACE technology products — Polymerase chain reaction PCR equipment
- Refrigerated benchtop centrifuges — Cooled benchtop centrifuges
- Robotic or automated liquid handling systems — Robotic fluidics stations
- Scanning light or spinning disk or laser scanning microscopes — Scanning laser confocal microscopes
- Spectrofluorimeters or fluorimeters — Fluorimeters
- Spectrophotometers — Ultraviolet-Visible UV/VIS spectrophotometers
- Stereo or dissecting light microscopes — Dissecting microscopes
- Stirring hotplates — Magnetic stirring hot plates
- Temperature cycling chambers or thermal cyclers — Gradiant thermocyclers; Polymerase chain reaction PCR thermocyclers; Thermocyclers
- Tissue culture incubators — Yeast culture incubators
- Transilluminators — Gel imaging apparatus
- Ultra pure water systems — Water purification systems
- Volumetric pipettes — Variable volume pipettes
- Vortex mixers — Vortex rotators
- Water baths — Laboratory water baths
- Record research or operational data.
- Plan biological research.
- Analyze biological samples.
- Research microbiological or chemical processes or structures.
- Supervise scientific or technical personnel.
- Direct scientific activities.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Instruct college students in physical or life sciences.
- Operate laboratory or field equipment.
- Develop biological research methods.
- Coordinate cross-disciplinary research programs.
- Evaluate new technologies or methods.
- Direct medical science or healthcare programs.
- Establish standards for medical care.
- Inspect equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Manage scientific or technical project resources.
- Develop new or advanced products or production methods.
- Research crop management methods.
- Develop technical or scientific databases.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|17-2199.01||Biochemical Engineers Green|
|19-1013.00||Soil and Plant Scientists|
|19-1021.00||Biochemists and Biophysicists|
|19-1042.00||Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists Bright Outlook|
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1052.00||Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Biological Scientists, All Other.
Employment data for Biological Scientists, All Other.
Industry data for Biological Scientists, All Other.
|Median wages (2019)||$39.53 hourly, $82,220 annual|
|Employment (2018)||47,100 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Average (4% to 6%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||4,700|
|Top industries (2018)||
Government (41% employed in this sector)
Educational Services (19%)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.