Details Report for:
25-1043.00 - Forestry and Conservation Science Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in forestry and conservation science. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Sample of reported job titles: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Conservation Biology Professor, Extension Professor, Forest Technology Professor, Forestry Professor, Lecturer, Natural Resources Professor, Professor, Research Professor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — SAS
- Application server software — Oracle WebLogic
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Desire2Learn; Learning management system LMS; Sakai CLE (see all 5 examples)
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Salesforce software
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; MySQL ; Oracle software ; Structure query language SQL
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise application integration software — Electronic data interchange EDI software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP software
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Microsoft Visio
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software ; Geographic information system GIS software ; Leica Geosystems ERDAS IMAGINE software
- Object or component oriented development software — Oracle Java
- Object oriented data base management software — Hibernate ORM
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Atlassian JIRA
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Angle gauge — Tree height angle gauges
- Augers — Power augers
- Axes — Brush axes; Forestry axes
- Blocks or pulleys — Snatch blocks
- Calipers — Diameter calipers
- Chain saw — Chainsaws
- Clinometers — Digital inclinometers
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Desktop computers
- Dibblers — Forestry dibbles
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Distance meters — Plot squares
- Ear muffs — Protective ear muffs
- Ear plugs — Protective ear plugs
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first aid kits
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Fall protection lanyard — Fall protection chokers
- Fire extinguishers
- Fire pump sets — Backpack fire pumps
- Fire suppression hand tools — McLeod tools; Pulaski tools
- Forestry increment borers — Handheld increment borers
- Forestry skidders — Mini skidders
- Geological compasses — Directional compasses
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Hand cultivator — Plant removers
- Hand sprayers — Handheld sprayers
- Hatchets — Hypo hatchets
- Height gauges — Woodland sticks
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Hoes — Hoedads
- Hydroponic fertilizer injector — Tree injectors
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Jacks — Log jacks
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Levels — Hand levels
- Levers — Felling levers
- Lifting hooks — Cant hooks; Peaveys; Timber carriers
- Lighters — Drip torches
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Lumbering equipment — Hookeroons; Skid cones; Tractor-mounted processors
- Machetes — Foliage machetes
- Measuring rods — Tree scale sticks
- Measuring tapes — 100-foot measuring tapes; Loggers' tapes; Plot radius ropes; Reel tapes
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Multimedia projection equipment
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Paint sprayers — Paint guns
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Planters — Planting bars
- Pocket calculator — Digital calculators
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Safety glasses — Protective safety glasses
- Saws — Hand saws; Pole saws; Two-hand saws
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Secateurs or pruning shears — Hand pruners; Loppers; Telescoping power pruners
- Seeder attachment — Broadcast seeders
- Shovels — Garden shovels
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Sprayers — Backpack spraying equipment
- Tablet computers
- Tape measures — Tree diameter tapes
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Tongs — Cable tongs; Hand tongs
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Tree protection rod — Protection tubes
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Wedges — Felling wedges
- Winches — Tractor-mounted winches
- Develop instructional materials.
- Teach physical science or mathematics courses at the college level.
- Evaluate student work.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Maintain student records.
- Supervise laboratory work.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Prepare tests.
- Guide class discussions.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Write grant proposals.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Direct department activities.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Evaluate scholarly materials.
- Provide information to the general public.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
|Not available||Doctoral degree|
|Not available||Post-doctoral training|
|Not available||Master's degree|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|19-1013.00||Soil and Plant Scientists|
|25-1041.00||Agricultural Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
|25-1052.00||Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1053.00||Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1064.00||Geography Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-9021.00||Farm and Home Management Educators|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$87,400 annual|
|Employment (2019)||2,100 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Slower than average (1% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||200|
|Top industries (2019)||
Educational Services (100% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Fisheries Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- American Water Resources Association
- Association for Fire Ecology
- Ecological Society of America
- Forest Products Society
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Postsecondary teachers
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Society for Ecological Restoration
- Society of American Foresters
- Soil Science Society of America
- Wildlife Society