Details Report for:
25-1193.00 - Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Sample of reported job titles: Adjunct Professor; Assistant Professor; Associate Professor; Health and Human Performance Professor; Health and Physical Education Professor (HPE Professor); Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Professor (HPER Professor); Instructor; Kinesiology Professor; Physical Education Professor (PE Professor); Professor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Learning management system LMS; Sakai CLE; Softworks Global PESoftOne (see all 6 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; Student record software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Dartfish
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Badminton rackets
- Baseball bats — Metal baseball bats
- Basketball hoop — Basketball hoops
- Bowling equipment — Bowling sets
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Cross trainers — Elliptical trainers
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Fitness weights — Free weights
- Golf balls
- Golf clubs
- Golf tees
- Gymnastic bars or beams — Balance beams
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Jump ropes — Fitness jump ropes
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Lower body resistance machines — Lower body weight machines
- Medicine ball — Medicine balls
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Pilates machines — Pilates training equipment
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Portable stereo systems — Portable stereo equipment
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Resistance bands — Exercise bands
- Resistance tubes — Exercise tubing
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Soccer balls
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Sport goals — Soccer goals
- Sport nets or netting — Tennis nets
- Stationary bicycles — Stationary exercise bicycles
- Step aerobic equipment — Step aerobics equipment
- Tablet computers
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Tennis balls
- Tennis racquets — Tennis rackets
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Treadmills — Exercise treadmills
- Upper body resistance machines — Upper body weight machines
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Guide class discussions.
- Develop instructional materials.
- Evaluate student work.
- Maintain student records.
- Teach physical science or mathematics courses at the college level.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Prepare tests.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Direct department activities.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Write grant proposals.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Teach physical education.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
- Coach others.
- Coordinate athletic or sporting events or activities.
- Train others on performance techniques.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2019)||$64,380 annual|
|Employment (2018)||20,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Average (4% to 6%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||1,800|
|Top industries (2018)||
Educational Services (99% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Baseball Coaches Association
- American Camp Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Physiological Society
- Aquatic Exercise Association
- Association for Experiential Education
- Athletics and Fitness Association of America
- National Association for Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education
- National Athletic Trainers' Association
- National Recreation and Park Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Society of Health and Physical Educators
- Women's Basketball Coaches Association