Details Report for:
29-1141.00 - Registered Nurses
Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required.
Sample of reported job titles: Certified Operating Room Nurse (CNOR), Charge Nurse, Emergency Department RN (Emergency Department Registered Nurse), Oncology RN (Oncology Registered Nurse), Operating Room Registered Nurse (OR RN), Psychiatric RN (Psychiatric Registered Nurse), Relief Charge Nurse, School Nurse, Staff Nurse, Staff RN (Staff Registered Nurse)
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software — Per-Se Technologies ORSOS One-Call
- Categorization or classification software — Diagnostic and procedural coding software
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; FileMaker Pro; Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — IBM Notes ; Microsoft Exchange ; Microsoft Outlook
- Human resources software — Human resource management software HRMS; Oracle Taleo
- Information retrieval or search software — Drug guide software
- Medical software — Epic Systems ; Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS ; Henry Schein Dentrix ; Medical condition coding software (see all 16 examples)
- Office suite software — Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Time accounting software — Kronos Workforce Timekeeper
- Video conferencing software — FaceTime
- Video creation and editing software — YouTube
- Web page creation and editing software — LinkedIn
- Word processing software — Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Acute care fetal or maternal monitoring units or accessories — Bilimeters; Fetal monitors; Fetal scalp electrodes
- Apnea monitors or accessories — Apnea monitors
- Arm traction supplies — Bucks traction equipment
- Arterial blood gas monitors or accessories — Arterial blood gas testing equipment
- Arterial line catheters
- Audiometers or accessories — Audiometers
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Defibrillators
- Autotransfusion units — Autotransfusion systems
- Benchtop centrifuges — Centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes
- Blood collection needle — Blood collection needles
- Blood warming or transfusion systems — Blood warming equipment
- Breathing circuit bags — Bag-valve masks
- Canes or cane accessories — Canes
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitor electrodes; Cardiac monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Pacemakers
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR protective shields or masks — One-way valve protective shields
- Cervical collars or neck braces — Cervical collars
- Clinical hydraulic lifts or accessories — Mechanical lift devices
- Clinical incubators or infant warmers — Infant warmers; Isolettes
- Clinical trapeze bars — Overhead clinical trapezes
- Colposcopes or vaginoscopes or accessories — Colposcopes
- Continuous passive motion CPM devices or accessories — Continuous passive motion CPM machines
- Crutches or crutch accessories — Crutches
- Diagnostic or interventional vascular catheters or sets — Angiocaths; Pulmonary artery catheters
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry units
- Electrocardiography EKG units
- Electronic blood pressure units — Electronic blood pressure monitors; Manual blood pressure monitors
- Electronic encyclopedias — Medical encyclopedias
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Electrosurgical devices; Grounding pads; Loop electrosurgical excision procedure LEEP equipment
- Emergency medical services head immobilizers — Head immobilizers
- Emergency medical services torso immobilizers — Torso immobilizers
- Endoscopic or surgical light sources or accessories — Surgical lights
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Enema kits or accessories — Enema equipment
- Enteral feeding administration sets — Continuous enteral feeding equipment; Intermittent enteral feeding equipment
- Enteral feeding infusion pump tubing sets — Infusion pump enteral feeding tubes
- Epidural anesthesia kit or tray — Epidural catheters
- Extremity restraints — Limb restraints
- Eye charts or vision cards — Snellen eye charts
- Flexible endoscopes or accessories or related products — Colonoscopy equipment; Flexible sigmoidoscopes; Gastrointestinal GI endoscopes
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Curved hemostats; Hemostats; Straight hemostats
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Oxygen flowmeters; Oxygen regulators
- Gait belts for rehabilitation or therapy — Gait belts
- Gastric decompression tubes — Levine tubes
- Glucose monitors or meters — Capillary glucose monitors; Glucose testing equipment
- Hand held doppler or accessories — Doppler pulse measurement devices
- Hand or finger traction supplies — Skin traction equipment
- Head or neck traction supplies — Cervical traction equipment
- Heating or drying equipment or accessories — Swab dryers
- Hemodialysis dialyzer reprocessing systems — Photopheresis systems
- Hypodermic needle — Intramuscular needles; Subcutaneous hypodermic needles
- Infusion pump kits or accessories — Epidural pumps; Insulin pumps
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB machines — Ventilators
- Intraaortic balloon pump and accessories — Intra-aortic balloon pumps IABP
- Intracranial pressure ICP monitoring units or accessories — Intracranial pressure monitors
- Intravenous infusion pump analyzers or sensors — Infusion control devices
- Intravenous or arterial extension tubing — Intravenous IV tubing
- Intravenous or arterial tubing adapters or connectors or locks or caps or protectors — Heparin locks; Peripheral intravenous IV locks
- Intravenous syringe infusion pumps — Intravenous syringe pumps
- Intravenous tubing with catheter administration kits — Intravenous IV equipment
- Intubation stylets
- Lancets — Heelstick blood sampling equipment
- Lap mayo trays or mayo stands for surgical use or accessories — Mayo trays
- Laryngoscopes or accessories — Laryngoscope blades
- Laser printers
- Leg traction supplies — Balanced suspension traction equipment; Russell's traction equipment
- Long term continuous electrocardiography EKG or holter monitoring systems — Computerized electrocardiography EKG and hemodynamic monitoring systems
- Lower extremity prosthetic devices
- Manual resuscitators — Manual resuscitation bags; Manually operated oxygen supply resuscitators
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Oxygen tanks
- Medical head hoods — Oxyhoods
- Medical incision drains — Hemovac drains; Jackson-Pratt drains
- Medical nasal cannulae — Nasal cannulas
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Non-rebreather masks; Partial masks; Ventimasks
- Medical staple or clip removers — Staple removers
- Medical suction or vacuum appliances — Nasal suctioning equipment; Oral suctioning equipment; Suction equipment; Tracheal suctioning equipment
- Medical suction sets or kits — Pleuravacs
- Medical syringe without needle — Syringes
- Medical tuning forks
- Medication or pill dispensers or accessories — Automated medicine dispensing equipment
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Transport cardiac monitors
- Nasogastric tubes
- Nebulizer or accessories — Nebulizers
- Non invasive bi level machines — Bilevel positive airway pressure BiPAP ventilators
- Non invasive continuous positive air pressure machines — Continuous positive airway pressure CPAP ventilators
- Notebook computers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Otoscopes
- Orthopedic splint systems — Splints
- Orthopedic traction hardware or weights — Traction equipment
- Oxygen therapy delivery system products accessories or its supplies — Oxygen administration equipment
- Patient bed or table scales for general use — Bed scales
- Patient care beds or accessories for general use — Hospital beds
- Patient controlled analgesia infusion pumps — Patient controlled analgesia PCA pumps
- Patient lifts or accessories — Patient lifters
- Patient motion sensors or alarms or accessories — Infant security sensors
- Pelvis or back traction supplies — Pelvic traction equipment
- Perfusion oxygen or hematocrit saturation monitors or accessories — Venous Oxygen Saturation SVO2 monitors
- Peripheral intravenous catheters for general use — Double lumen catheters; Peripheral angiocaths; Single lumen catheters; Triple lumen catheters (see all 5 examples)
- Personal computers — Pocket personal computers PC
- Phacoemulsification or extrusion equipment or accessories for ophthalmic surgery — Phaco apparatus; Phaco consoles
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Radio frequency transmitters or receivers — Telemedicine equipment
- Reflex hammers or mallets — Percussion hammers; Reflex hammers
- Respiratory aspirator products or accessories — Meconium aspirators
- Respiratory humidifiers or vaporizers — T-pieces with aerosol
- Respiratory manometer kits — Manometers
- Restraint straps or buckles or accessories or supplies — Leather restraints
- Restraint vests and jackets — Vest restraints
- Sexual assault determination kits — Rape kits
- Spill kits — Chemotherapy spill kits
- Spine boards
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Incentive spirometers
- Sputum collection apparatus or containers — Lukens traps
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Autoclaves; Flash sterilizers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Occlusion clamps; Surgical clamps
- Surgical drapes
- Surgical needle holders for general use — Suture needleholders
- Surgical retractors for general use — Retractors
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Scalpels
- Surgical suction machines or vacuum extractors or ultrasonic surgical aspirators or regulators or accessories — Vacuum extractors
- Suture needles
- Suture removal kits or trays or packs or sets — Suture removal kits
- Tablet computers
- Therapeutic heating or cooling blankets or drapes — Cooling blankets; Hyper/hypothermia blankets
- Therapeutic heating or cooling pads or compresses or packs — Aqua K pads
- Tracheostomy accessories — Tracheostomy collars
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation units — Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation TENS equipment
- Tuberculin syringes — Tuberculosis TB skin test equipment
- Ultraviolet UV lamps — Phototherapy equipment
- Umbilical catheters
- Upper extremity prosthetic devices
- Urinalysis analyzers — Urine analysis equipment
- Urinalysis test strips
- Urinary catheterization kit — Urinary catheters
- Urological procedure trays or packs or kits — Bladder irrigation equipment
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Vaginal exam specula — Pelvic specula
- Vascular or compression apparel or support — Anti-embolism elastic stockings
- Vascular sequential compression devices or tubing — Sequential compression devices
- Ventricular assist devices — Ventricular assist devices VAD
- Vision testing stereoscopes — Titmus vision screeners
- Walkers or rollators — Walkers
- Record patient medical histories.
- Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
- Administer non-intravenous medications.
- Maintain medical facility records.
- Inform medical professionals regarding patient conditions and care.
- Immunize patients.
- Treat acute illnesses, infections, or injuries.
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to plan or provide treatment.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Manage healthcare operations.
- Advise medical personnel regarding healthcare issues.
- Analyze test data or images to inform diagnosis or treatment.
- Direct healthcare delivery programs.
- Order medical diagnostic or clinical tests.
- Prescribe assistive medical devices or related treatments.
- Prescribe medications.
- Design public or employee health programs.
- Communicate health and wellness information to the public.
- Evaluate patient outcomes to determine effectiveness of treatments.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies or equipment.
- Prepare medical supplies or equipment for use.
- Test biological specimens to gather information about patient conditions.
- Assess patient work, living, or social environments.
- Administer anesthetics or sedatives to control pain.
- Assist healthcare practitioners during examinations or treatments.
- Prepare patients physically for medical procedures.
- Train caregivers or other non-medical personnel.
- Diagnose medical conditions.
- Examine patients to assess general physical condition.
- Refer patients to other healthcare practitioners or health resources.
- Treat medical emergencies.
- Advise communities or institutions regarding health or safety issues.
- Conduct research to increase knowledge about medical issues.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|29-1141.01||Acute Care Nurses|
|29-1141.03||Critical Care Nurses|
|29-2031.00||Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians|
|29-2061.00||Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses Bright Outlook|
|39-1022.00||First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$36.22 hourly, $75,330 annual|
|Employment (2019)||3,096,700 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||175,900|
|Top industries (2019)||
Health Care and Social Assistance (86% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- AFT Nurses and Health Professionals
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- American Nurses Association
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses
- American Society of Registered Nurses
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- Association of Rehabilitation Nurses
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
- Emergency Nurses Association
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- National Association of Neonatal Nurses
- National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- National League for Nursing
- National Nurses United
- National Student Nurses' Association
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Registered nurses
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates