Details Report for:
29-2031.00 - Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
Conduct tests on pulmonary or cardiovascular systems of patients for diagnostic purposes. May conduct or assist in electrocardiograms, cardiac catheterizations, pulmonary functions, lung capacity, and similar tests. Includes vascular technologists.
Sample of reported job titles: Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Technologist, Cardiac Catheterization Technician, Cardiac Technician, Cardiology Technician, Cardiopulmonary Technician, Cardiovascular Technician, Cardiovascular Technologist (CVT), Electrocardiogram Technician (EKG Tech), Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS)
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software; Structured data entry software
- Information retrieval or search software — Information systems integration software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Inventory management software — Pyxis MedStation software
- Medical software — Digital Imaging Communications in Medicine DICOM-compatible image acquisition and integration software products; Electronic medical record EMR software; MEDITECH software ; Smart Digital Holter Monitor (see all 7 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Angiography contrast medium delivery set — Contrast power injectors; Medrad injectors; Pressure injectors
- Angioplasty balloon catheter — Balloon catheters
- Angioscopes or accessories — Heart probes
- Arterial line catheters — Swan Ganz artery catheters
- Arterial needles — Brachial artery needles
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED; Defibrillators
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Laboratory microscopes
- Blood collection syringes
- Blood gas analyzers
- Body plethysmographs — Plethysmography machines
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Hemodynamic monitors; Physiological monitoring and analysis systems; Thermodilution cardiac output computers
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Pacemaker analyzers; Pacemakers; Silicone lead end caps; Ventricular demand pacemakers (see all 7 examples)
- Cardiovascular sheath kits — Cardiovascular catheter sheaths
- Central venous catheters
- Chemical or gas sterilizers — Chemical sterilizers
- Coagulation analyzers — Coagulation testing equipment
- Coronary stent — Coronary stents
- Defense Digital Imaging Network DIN system equipment — Defense digital imaging network-picture archiving and communications systems DIN-PACS
- Desktop computers
- Diagnostic or interventional vascular catheter introducers or sets — Brockenbrough needles; Transseptal sheaths
- Diagnostic or interventional vascular catheters or sets — Angiojets; Grollmann catheters; Rheolytic thrombectomy systems; Rotoblators (see all 10 examples)
- Digital Imaging Communications in Medicine DICOM standard system equipment — Digital Imaging Communications in Medicine DICOM system equipment
- Electrocardiography EKG accessories — Electrocardiography EKG tape reading scanners
- Electrocardiography EKG electrode patch — Electrocardiography EKG electrodes
- Electrocardiography EKG unit analyzers — Vector-cardiographs
- Electrocardiography EKG units — Cardio-page writers
- Electromyography EMG units or accessories — Light and sound machines
- Electronic blood pressure units
- Electronic stethoscopes or accessories — Electronic stethoscopes
- Glucose monitors or meters — Glucometers
- Hematology analyzers — Activated clotting time ACT lab equipment
- Hypodermic needle — Venipuncture needles
- Intraaortic balloon pump and accessories — Indeflators; Intra-aortic balloon pumps IABP
- Intravenous or arterial cannulas or accessories — Arterial line stop-cocks; Pressure tubing
- Intravenous or arterial extension tubing — Intravenous IV tubing
- Intravenous or arterial tubing adapters or connectors or locks or caps or protectors — Intravenous IV locks
- Introducer or guide pin or guidewire or glidewire for non endoscopic surgical or open heart procedures — Guidewires
- Lancets — Sterile blood lancets
- Laser printers — Thermal printers
- Lightmeters — Light meters
- Long term continuous electrocardiography EKG or holter monitoring systems — Holter monitors; Portable electrocardiography EKG machines
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical cine fluoroscopy equipment — Fluoroscopes
- Medical imaging wet darkroom or daylight processors — Film processing equipment
- Medical picture archiving computer systems PACS — Image capturing and transmission systems; Image storage systems; Scan converters
- Medical radiological shielding aprons or masks or drapes — Lead aprons; Lead collars
- Medical syringe without needle — Intravenous IV syringes
- Medical x ray units for general diagnostic use — X ray machines
- Mercury blood pressure units — Mercury sphygmomanometers
- Notebook computers
- Oxygen therapy delivery system products accessories or its supplies — Nitric oxide administration equipment; Oxygen therapy systems
- Perfusion oxygenators or accessories — 3, 4, and 5 stopcock manifolds
- Peripheral intravenous catheters for general use — Over-the-needle intravenous IV catheters
- Personal computers
- Pulmonary function calculators — Computerized lung analyzers
- Pulse oximeter units — Oximeters
- Removal devices of diagnostic or interventional vascular catheters or sets — Transluminal extraction catheters
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Spirometers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — C-clamps; Myocardial biopsy forceps
- Surgical equipment stands or accessories — Surgical trays/tables
- Surgical lasers or accessories — Lasers
- Surgical microscopes or loops or magnifiers or accessories — Microscopes
- Surgical purstring devices — Suture devices
- Tablet computers
- Treadmill exercisers for rehabilitation or therapy — Therapeutic treadmill exercisers
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Vascular filter — Bird's nest inferior vena caval filters; Caval filters; Distal embolic protection devices; Vena caval filters
- Vascular imaging guidewire — Radi pressure wires; Wave wires
- Operate diagnostic or therapeutic medical instruments or equipment.
- Test patient heart or lung functioning.
- Explain medical procedures or test results to patients or family members.
- Analyze test data or images to inform diagnosis or treatment.
- Maintain sterile operative fields.
- Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
- Assist healthcare practitioners during surgery.
- Monitor video displays of medical equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment.
- Collect medical information from patients, family members, or other medical professionals.
- Record patient medical histories.
- Calculate numerical data for medical activities.
- Inform medical professionals regarding patient conditions and care.
- Position patients for treatment or examination.
- Prepare patients physically for medical procedures.
- Perform clerical work in medical settings.
- Administer medical substances for imaging or other procedures.
- Prepare reports summarizing patient diagnostic or care activities.
- Adjust settings or positions of medical equipment.
- Enter patient or treatment data into computers.
- Prepare medical supplies or equipment for use.
- Examine medical instruments or equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Maintain medical equipment or instruments.
- Repair medical facility equipment.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Train medical providers.
- Order medical supplies or equipment.
- Schedule patient procedures or appointments.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|29-1141.03||Critical Care Nurses|
|29-2032.00||Diagnostic Medical Sonographers|
|29-2033.00||Nuclear Medicine Technologists Bright Outlook|
|29-2054.00||Respiratory Therapy Technicians|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2019)||$27.75 hourly, $57,720 annual|
|Employment (2018)||57,800 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Faster than average (7% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||3,700|
|Top industries (2018)||
Health Care and Social Assistance (98% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Training Center
- Alliance of Cardiovascular Professionals
- American Association for Respiratory Care
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Heart Association
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Society of Radiologic Technologists
- Cardiovascular Credentialing International
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- The National Board for Respiratory Care