Details Report for:
29-2056.00 - Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
Perform medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. Prepare vaccines and serums for prevention of diseases. Prepare tissue samples, take blood samples, and execute laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. Clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines. May assist a veterinarian during surgery.
Sample of reported job titles: Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT), Emergency Veterinary Technician, Internal Medicine Veterinary Technician, Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), Medical Technologist, Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Laboratory Technician (Veterinary Lab Tech), Veterinary Nurse, Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech)
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Data base user interface and query software — FileMaker Pro; Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — Animal Intelligence Software Animal Intelligence; McAllister Software Systems AVImark; Veterinary practice management software PMS
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air rifles or air handguns — Capture rifles; Dart guns
- Analgesic infusion sets or kits — Infusion sets
- Animal catching devices — Animal capture nets; Animal catching poles; Animal snares
- Animal husbandry equipment — Cattle chutes; Dehorners; Hoof picks
- Animal shearing or clipping equipment — Electric animal clippers
- Animal weighing scales — Electronic animal scales
- Anti shock garments — Medical anti-shock trousers MAST
- Arterial line catheters
- Artificial airway holders
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Semiautomated or automatic external defibrillators AED
- Benchtop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Optical compound microscopes
- Blood collection needle — Venoject needles
- Blood collection syringes
- Blood gas analyzers
- Blood pressure recording units — Blood pressure recorders
- Butterfly needles — Scalp vein needles
- Cages or its accessories — Squeeze cages
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors; Portable cardiac monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — External pacers
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR protective shields or masks — One-way valve pocket masks
- Chemical or gas sterilizers — Gas sterilizers
- Chemistry analyzers — Automated chemistry analyzers
- Coagulation analyzers
- Dental finishing or polishing discs — Prophylaxis angles
- Dental hand pieces or accessories — Dental handpieces
- Dental probes — Dental explorers
- Dental scalers or accessories — Ultrasonic dental scalers
- Dental x ray units — Veterinary dental x ray equipment
- Desktop computers
- Digital cameras
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry units
- Electrocardiography EKG units
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Electrosurgery units
- Emergency medical service intravenous IV kit — Intraosseous kits
- Emergency medical services head immobilizers — Head immobilization devices
- Emergency medical services obstetrics kits — Obstetrical OB kits
- Emergency medical services suction units or accessories — Airway suction units; Battery-powered portable suction units; Fixed-suction equipment
- Emergency medical services tracheal tube or cricothyrotomy kits — Cricothyrotomy kits
- Emergency medical services triage tags — Triage tags
- Emergency response litters or stretchers or accessories — Multi-level wheeled cots; Stair chairs
- Emergency resuscitator or aspirator kits — Resuscitation devices
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Enema kits or accessories — Enema equipment
- Enteral feeding administration sets — Enteral feeding equipment
- Esophageal tubes — Esophageal tracheal airway devices
- Extremity restraints — Limb restraints
- Finger ring removers — Ring cutters
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Wall-mounted oxygen regulators
- Forced air or mechanical convection general purpose incubators — Laboratory mechanical convection incubators
- Full body immersion hydrotherapy baths or tanks — Veterinary immersion hydrotherapy equipment
- Gas anesthesia apparatus — Veterinary anesthesia machines
- Glucose monitors or meters — Glucometers
- Handheld refractometers or polarimeters — Handheld refractometers
- Harnesses or its accessories — Head halters
- Hypodermic injection apparatus or accessories — Epi-pens; Preload syringes
- Hypodermic needle — Hypodermic needles
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB machines — Mechanical intermittent positive pressure ventilators
- Intravenous infusion pumps for general use — Intravenous IV pressure infusers; Intravenous IV pumps
- Intravenous or arterial arm boards — Long arm boards; Short arm boards
- Intravenous or arterial cannulas or accessories — Intravenous IV cannulas
- Intravenous or arterial tubing adapters or connectors or locks or caps or protectors — Saline locks
- Intravenous tubing with catheter administration kits — Intravenous IV administration sets
- Intubation forceps — Adult Magill forceps
- Intubation gauges or guides — Esophageal intubation detection devices
- Intubation stylets — Adult stylets
- Laboratory balances — Laboratory scales
- Laboratory diluters — Automated diluters
- Laryngoscopes or accessories — Curved adult blades; Laryngoscopes; Straight adult blades; Straight pediatric blades (see all 5 examples)
- Manual or electronic hematology differential cell counters — Differential blood cell counters; Electronic blood cell counters
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical computed tomography CT or CAT scanners or tubes — Computed tomography CT scanners
- Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Fixed-oxygen equipment; Portable oxygen equipment
- Medical magnetic resonance imaging MRI scanners — Magnetic resonance imaging MRI systems
- Medical nasal cannulae — Oxygen nasal cannulae
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Adult non-rebreather oxygen masks; Child oxygen masks; Infant oxygen masks
- Medical radiation films or badges — Radiation detecting film badges
- Medical radiological positioning aids for general radiological use — X ray patient positioning equipment
- Medical radiological shielding aprons or masks or drapes — Lead aprons; Lead thyroid collars
- Medical radiological shielding gloves — Lead gloves
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Protective face shields
- Medical syringe with needle — Anesthesia syringes; Hypodermic syringes; Multiple dose syringes
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or pulse echo or echography units for general diagnostic use — Veterinary ultrasound equipment
- Medical x ray darkroom equipment or supplies — Manual darkroom developing equipment; X ray film processors
- Medical x ray film or cassette — X ray cassettes
- Medical x ray intensifying screens — X ray intensifying equipment
- Medical x ray units for general diagnostic use — Digital x ray equipment; Portable veterinary x ray equipment; Stationary veterinary x ray equipment
- Microcentrifuges — Microhematocrit centrifuges
- Microscope slides
- Mobile or transportable medical linear accelerators — Linear accelerator equipment
- Nasopharyngeal tubes — Nasopharyngeal airways
- Nebulizer or accessories — Aerosol nebulizers; Humidification equipment; Nebulizers
- Needleless intravenous injection syringe set or injection cannula — Interlink syringe cannulas
- Needleless vial or bag withdrawal cannulas or adapters or decanters — Vacutainer adapters; Vial access cannulas
- Non vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Blood tubes
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmic tonometers or accessories — Ophthalmic tonometers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Ophthalmoscopes; Otoscopes
- Orthopedic splint systems — Cardboard splints; Rigid splints; Splints
- Oxygen insufflator or its accessories — Transtracheal jet insufflators
- Oxygen therapy delivery system products accessories or its supplies — Oxygen administration equipment
- Patient stretchers or stretcher accessories — Stretchers
- Periodontal curettes
- Personal computers
- Protective gloves — Bite gloves
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Respiratory monitoring kits or its accessories — Respiration monitors
- Restraints — Bovine tail restraints; Nose tongs
- Resuscitation masks or accessories — Ambu bags
- Sledge hammer — Sledgehammers
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Steam autoclaves; Vacuum autoclaves
- Surgical calipers or rulers — Surgical calipers
- Surgical retractors for general use — Surgical retractors
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Surgical scalpels
- Suture needles
- Suture removers — Suture scissors
- Tablet computers
- Therapeutic heating or cooling units or systems — Veterinary patient warming systems
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic instrument cleaners
- Urinary catheterization kit — Urinary catheters
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Veterinary blood pressure testers — Ultrasonic blood pressure monitors
- Veterinary castration instruments — Veterinary emasculators
- Veterinary clinical thermometers — Digital veterinary thermometers
- Veterinary electrocardiograph ECG — Animal electrocardiograph ECG units
- Veterinary injection or suction units or accessories — Balling guns; Veterinary suction equipment
- Veterinary nail trimmers or cutters — Animal nail trimmers; Hoof trimmers
- Veterinary speculums — Veterinary oral specula; Veterinary vaginal specula
- Monitor patients following surgeries or other treatments.
- Maintain medical facility records.
- Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
- Administer anesthetics or sedatives to control pain.
- Position patients for treatment or examination.
- Treat medical emergencies.
- Prepare medications or medical solutions.
- Administer non-intravenous medications.
- Immunize patients.
- Test biological specimens to gather information about patient conditions.
- Clean medical equipment or facilities.
- Collect biological specimens from patients.
- Communicate detailed medical information to patients or family members.
- Prepare biological specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Prepare patients physically for medical procedures.
- Sterilize medical equipment or instruments.
- Assist healthcare practitioners during examinations or treatments.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment.
- Process x-rays or other medical images.
- Prepare medical supplies or equipment for use.
- Treat dental problems or diseases.
- Provide health and wellness advice to patients, program participants, or caregivers.
- Schedule patient procedures or appointments.
- Apply bandages, dressings, or splints.
- Administer basic health care or medical treatments.
- Maintain medical equipment or instruments.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Train medical providers.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies or equipment.
- Order medical supplies or equipment.
- Merchandise healthcare products or services.
- Perform clerical work in medical settings.
- Process medical billing information.
- Assist patients with hygiene or daily living activities.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|29-2032.00||Diagnostic Medical Sonographers|
|29-2033.00||Nuclear Medicine Technologists Bright Outlook|
|29-2054.00||Respiratory Therapy Technicians|
|31-9096.00||Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$16.55 hourly, $34,420 annual|
|Employment (2016)||102,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2016-2026)||Much faster than average (15% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2016-2026)||10,700|
|Top industries (2016)||
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (92% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2016-2026 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2016-2026). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians
- American Animal Hospital Association
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Veterinary technologists and technicians
- Society of Veterinary Behavior Technicians
- Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society