Details Report for:
49-3023.00 - Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles.
The occupation code you requested, 49-3023.01 (Automotive Master Mechanics), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 49-3023.00 (Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: Automobile Mechanic (Auto Mechanic), Automotive Drivability Technician (Auto Drivability Tech), Automotive Mechanic (Auto Mechanic), Automotive Service Technician (Auto Service Tech), Heavy Line Technician, Lube Technician, Master Automotive Technician (Master Auto Tech), Mechanic, Quick Service Technician (Quick Service Tech), Service Technician (Service Tech)
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Accounting software — Mitchell Manager Invoicing System
- Analytical or scientific software — Blue Streak Electronics Buell Diagnostic; CODA Engine Analysis System; Nexiq Tech HDS Suite for Palm; SPX/OTC Genisys ConnecTech PC (see all 5 examples)
- Calendar and scheduling software — Scheduling software
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Data base reporting software — Genisys Fast Fixes
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software; Database software ; Recordkeeping software; Work order management software (see all 6 examples)
- Electronic mail software — IBM Notes ; Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- Facilities management software — Alliance Automotive Shop Controller; Amcom AUTOS2000; Scott Systems MaxxTraxx Pro; Snap-On ShopKey (see all 6 examples)
- Information retrieval or search software — Online service manual database software; Technical manual database software
- Internet browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows
- Project management software — Estimating software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — YouTube
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Acoustic ear muffs or defenders — Protective ear muffs
- Acoustic sensors — Mechanics' stethoscopes
- Adjustable widemouth pliers — Radiator hose pinchoff pliers
- Adjustable wrenches
- Air compressors
- Anvils — Dolly blocks
- Automotive cleaners — Fuel injection cleaners
- Automotive exhaust emission analyzers — Exhaust analyzers; Portable exhaust analyzers; Smoke machines
- Automotive honing machine — Brake cylinder hones; Brake rotor hones; Engine cylinder hones
- Ball peen hammer — Ball peen hammers
- Bar code reader equipment — Code readers
- Battery acid hydrometers — Battery hydrometers
- Battery chargers — Battery jump starters
- Battery testers — Battery load testers; Battery/alternator testers
- Bench vises — Vises
- Blow torch — Cutting torches
- Bolt cutters
- Borescope inspection equipment — Borescopes
- Box end wrenches — Ratcheting box wrenches
- Brake drum lathe — Brake drum lathes; Rotor/drum brake lathes
- Brake repair kits — Brake shoe tools; Brake tools; Disc brake pad spreaders; Shoe retaining spring tools
- C clamps — Locking C-clamps
- Calipers — Dial calipers
- Capacitance meters — Capacity testers
- Catalytic combustion analyzers
- Circuit tester — Circuit testers; Continuity testers; Test lights
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cleaning scrapers — Gasket scrapers
- Cold chisels
- Combination pliers
- Combination wrenches
- Compressed air gun — Impact guns; Pneumatic chassis lubriguns
- Compression testers — Compression analyzers; Cylinder leakage testers
- Cutting die — Metal cutting dies
- Deburring tool — Deburring tools
- Desktop computers
- Diagonal cut pliers — Diagonal cutting pliers
- Dial indicator or dial gauge — Dial gauges; Dial indicators
- Digital testers — Computerized engine analyzers; Handheld computer diagnostic equipment
- Dollies — Auto body dollies
- Drill bit set — Drill bit sets
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses; Workshop presses
- Engine ignition systems — Dwell meters
- Engine or vehicle stands — Engine stands; Frame racks; Jack stands
- Feeler gauges — Spark plug gapping tools
- Flat hand file — Flat files
- Gas detectors — Combustible gas detectors
- Gas welding or brazing or cutting apparatus — Gas welding equipment; Oxyacetylene welding equipment
- Grease guns
- Growler tester — Coil testers
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hammers — 5 pound sledge hammers; Brass hammers; Soft face hammers; Wheel weight hammers (see all 6 examples)
- Hand clamps — Clutch holding tools
- Hand reamer — Reamers
- Heat guns
- Heat tracing equipment — Infrared digital thermometers; Infrared thermometers
- Hex keys — Allen wrenches
- Hoists — Chain hoists
- Hole gauge — Bore gauges
- Hose cutter — Hose cutters
- Hydraulic press brake — Hydraulic shop presses
- Hydraulic press frames — Hydraulic presses
- Impact wrenches
- Inspection mirror — Inspection mirrors
- Integrated circuit testers — Light emitting diode LED circuit testers; Mini circuit testers
- Jacks — Transmission jacks
- Laser printers
- Leak testing equipment — Combustion leak detectors; Leak detecting diagnostic smoke machines; Leak detection smoke machines; Light emitting diode LED leak detector lights
- Levels — Laser levels
- Linemans pliers — Insulated pliers
- Liquid leak detectors — Leak detectors; Refrigerant leak detectors
- Locking pliers — Channel lock pliers; Locking jaw pliers
- Longnose pliers — Long nose pliers
- Magnetic tools — Magnetic pickup tools
- Metal band sawing machine — Bandsaws
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Mill saw file — Single-cut mill saw files
- Motor starter controls — Remote starter switches
- Multi gas monitors — 5-gas emissions analyzers; Refrigerant gas analyzers; Refrigerant identifiers
- Multimeters — 2-channel lab scopes; Clamp-on multimeters
- Needlenose pliers
- Nut drivers
- Oil gun — Oil injectors
- Open end wrenches — Crescent wrenches
- Organic light emitting displays — Anti-lock braking system ABS/air bag scan tools; Auto scanners; Modular diagnostic information systems; Scan tools (see all 7 examples)
- Oxygen sensors
- Paint sprayers — High velocity low pressure HVLP spray guns
- Personal computers
- Pipe bending tools — Brake line flaring tools
- Pipe or tube cutter — Exhaust/tail pipe cutters; Tube cutters; Tubing cutters
- Pipe wrenches
- Plasma arc welding machine — Plasma cutters
- Pneumatic drill — Air drills; Pneumatic drills
- Pneumatic hammer — Air chisels; Air hammers
- Pneumatic impact wrenches — Air wrenches; Butterfly air wrenches; Pneumatic wrenches
- Pneumatic sanding machines — Air sanders; Pneumatic orbital sanders; Sandblasters
- Pneumatic vacuum equipment — Brake bleeders; Hydraulic bleed tools; Pneumatic fluid evacuators; Pressure brake bleeders
- Portable data input terminals — Computerized scanners
- Power buffers — Buffers; Polishers
- Power drills — Angle drills; Electric drills
- Power flaring tool — Flaring tools
- Power grinders — Grinding equipment
- Power riveter — Rivet guns
- Power sanders
- Power saws — Circular saws; Reciprocating saws
- Pressure indicators — Diesel modulator shift testers; Engine oil pressure testers; Manifold gauge sets; Oil pressure gauges (see all 5 examples)
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Power washers; Steam cleaning equipment
- Protective gloves
- Pry bars
- Pullers — Bearing pullers; Gear pullers; Hand pullers; Power pullers (see all 8 examples)
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Center punches; Pin punches; Punches; Taper punches
- Rasps — Stickleback rasps
- Razor knives
- Refrigerant compressors — Air conditioner chargers
- Remote reading thermometers — Non-contact thermometers
- Retaining ring pliers — External snap ring pliers; Internal retaining ring pliers
- Rivet tools — Riveting tools
- Safety glasses
- Safety shoes
- Screw extractors — Screw extractor sets
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight blade screwdrivers
- Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding machine — Shielded arc welding tools
- Socket sets — Antenna socket sets; Socket wrench sets
- Sockets — Socket wrenches
- Soldering iron — Soldering irons
- Spark plug tester — Ignition testers
- Spark plug wrench — Spark plug sockets
- Specialty wrenches — Breaker bars; Chain wrenches; Locking wrenches; Ratcheting gear wrenches (see all 11 examples)
- Speed sensors — Revolutions per minute RPM gauges; Timing lights
- Steering wheel puller — Steering wheel column pivot pin pullers
- Strap wrenches
- Stripping tools — Wire strippers
- Tachometers — Laser photo tachometers
- Tape measures
- Taps — Metal cutting taps
- Tire changing machines
- Tire pressure gauge — Tire pressure gauges
- Tongue and groove pliers
- Torque wrenches
- Torx keys — Torx screwdrivers
- Tracer or duplicating or contouring lathe — Bench lathes
- Trim or molding tools — Carbon scrapers; Scrapers; Spoons
- Tube bending machine — Tubing benders
- Two way radios
- Ultrasonic examination equipment — Ultrasonic diagnostic kits
- Utility knives
- Vacuum gauges
- Vacuum pumps — Antifreeze recovery equipment; Freon recovery equipment
- Valve seat cutter — Valve seating equipment
- Voltage or current meters — Alternating current/direct current AC/DC inductive current clamps; In-line ignition spark testers; Spark plug testers; Voltmeters (see all 6 examples)
- Welding masks
- Welding or soldering kit — Spot welding kits
- Wheel alignment equipment — Computerized suspension analyzers; Front end alignment equipment; Wheel alignment machines
- Wheel balancing equipment — Strobe wheel balancing systems for heavy vehicles; Wheel balancers
- Wheel nut or lug wrench — Lug wrenches
- Wire brushes
- Wire cutters
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable cutters
- Workshop cranes
- Operate transportation equipment to demonstrate function or malfunction.
- Adjust equipment to ensure optimal performance.
- Inspect vehicles to determine overall condition.
- Record information about parts, materials or repair procedures.
- Test mechanical systems to ensure proper functioning.
- Replace worn, damaged, or defective mechanical parts.
- Adjust vehicle components according to specifications.
- Repair non-engine automotive or vehicle components.
- Confer with coworkers to coordinate work activities.
- Estimate costs for labor or materials.
- Read work orders or descriptions of problems to determine repairs or modifications needed.
- Troubleshoot equipment or systems operation problems.
- Confer with customers or users to assess problems.
- Align equipment or machinery.
- Disassemble equipment for maintenance or repair.
- Reassemble equipment after repair.
- Test electrical circuits or components for proper functioning.
- Clean work areas.
- Inspect mechanical components of vehicles to identify problems.
- Plan work procedures.
- Service vehicles to maintain functionality.
- Repair worn, damaged, or defective mechanical parts.
- Disassemble equipment to inspect for deficiencies.
- Repair defective engines or engine components.
- Service heating, ventilation or air-conditioning (HVAC) systems or components.
- Service green vehicles to make repairs or maintain good working order.
- Rebuild parts or components.
- Inspect gas systems or components to identify leaks or other potential hazards.
- Rewire electrical or electronic systems.
- Install vehicle parts or accessories.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$21.18 hourly, $44,050 annual|
|Employment (2020)||703,800 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)||Little or no change|
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||69,000|
|Top industries (2020)||
Retail Trade (44% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2020-2030 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
- Automotive Maintenance and Repair Association
- Automotive Youth Educational Systems
- International Association of General Motors Automotive Service Educational Program
- Mobile Air Conditioning Society Worldwide
- National Automobile Dealers Association
- National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Automotive service technicians and mechanics
- SAE International