Summary Report for:
15-1255.00 - Web and Digital Interface Designers
Design digital user interfaces or websites. Develop and test layouts, interfaces, functionality, and navigation menus to ensure compatibility and usability across browsers or devices. May use web framework applications as well as client-side code and processes. May evaluate web design following web and accessibility standards, and may analyze web use metrics and optimize websites for marketability and search engine ranking. May design and test interfaces that facilitate the human-computer interaction and maximize the usability of digital devices, websites, and software with a focus on aesthetics and design. May create graphics used in websites and manage website content and links.
Sample of reported job titles: Technology Applications Engineer, Web Architect, Web Design Specialist, Web Designer, Web Developer, Webmaster
Also see: Video Game Designers
- Collaborate with management or users to develop e-commerce strategies and to integrate these strategies with Web sites.
- Collaborate with web development professionals, such as front-end or back-end developers, to complete the full scope of web development projects.
- Communicate with network personnel or Web site hosting agencies to address hardware or software issues affecting Web sites.
- Conduct user research to determine design requirements and analyze user feedback to improve design quality.
- Confer with management or development teams to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop content criteria, or choose solutions.
- Create searchable indices for Web page content.
- Create Web models or prototypes that include physical, interface, logical, or data models.
- Design, build, or maintain Web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools, and digital media.
- Develop and document style guidelines for Web site content.
- Develop new visual design concepts and modify concepts based on stakeholder feedback.
- Develop or implement procedures for ongoing Web site revision.
- Develop system interaction or sequence diagrams.
- Develop Web site maps, application models, image templates, or page templates that meet project goals, user needs, or industry standards.
- Develop, validate, and document test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Direct and execute pre-production activities, such as creating moodboards or storyboards and establishing a project timeline.
- Document technical factors such as server load, bandwidth, database performance, and browser and device types.
- Identify or maintain links to and from other Web sites and check links to ensure proper functioning.
- Identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Incorporate technical considerations into Web site design plans, such as budgets, equipment, performance requirements, or legal issues including accessibility and privacy.
- Maintain understanding of current Web technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups.
- Perform or direct Web site updates.
- Perform Web site tests according to planned schedules, or after any Web site or product revision.
- Provide clear, detailed descriptions of Web site specifications, such as product features, activities, software, communication protocols, programming languages, and operating systems software and hardware.
- Register Web sites with search engines to increase Web site traffic.
- Research and apply innovative solutions for product design, visuals, and user experience to meet the needs of individual web development projects.
- Research, document, rate, or select alternatives for Web architecture or technologies.
- Respond to user email inquiries, or set up automated systems to send responses.
- Select programming languages, design tools, or applications.
- Write and edit technical documentation for digital interface products and designs, such as user manuals, testing protocols, and reports.
- Write supporting code for Web applications or Web sites.
- Analytical or scientific software — IBM SPSS Statistics ; SAS ; The MathWorks MATLAB
- Application server software — Docker ; GitHub ; Oracle WebLogic Server ; Spring Boot (see all 5 examples)
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — IBM Cognos Impromptu ; Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition ; Qlik Tech QlikView ; Tableau (see all 5 examples)
- Communications server software — IBM Domino
- Configuration management software — Chef; Perforce Helix software; Puppet
- Content workflow software — Atlassian JIRA ; Sitecore CMS
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Oracle Eloqua; Salesforce software
- Data base management system software — Amazon DynamoDB; Amazon Kinesis; Apache Hadoop ; Teradata Database (see all 14 examples)
- Data base reporting software — Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services ; SAP Crystal Reports
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; IBM Informix; MarkLogic; Microsoft Access (see all 14 examples)
- Data mining software — Google Analytics
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign ; Microsoft Publisher
- Development environment software — C; Microsoft Visual Basic ; Microsoft Visual SourceSafe; Subversion (see all 21 examples)
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — IBM Notes
- Enterprise application integration software — Common gateway interface CGI; Extensible markup language XML ; Extensible stylesheet language XSL; IBM InfoSphere DataStage (see all 8 examples)
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; NetSuite ERP ; Oracle Fusion Applications; SAP (see all 6 examples)
- Enterprise system management software — IBM Power Systems software; Splunk Enterprise
- Expert system software — Ansible software
- File versioning software — Apache Subversion SVN ; Git
- Financial analysis software — Delphi Technology
- Graphical user interface development software — Salesforce Visualforce
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud ; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; Microsoft Visio ; Trimble SketchUp Pro (see all 8 examples)
- Metadata management software — CA Erwin Data Modeler
- Network monitoring software — Nagios ; Wireshark
- Object or component oriented development software — Apache Spark; Apple Cocoa; C++ ; Python (see all 18 examples)
- Object oriented data base management software — Hibernate ORM; PostgreSQL
- Office suite software — Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Android; Linux ; Microsoft Windows ; Microsoft Windows Server (see all 15 examples)
- Portal server software — Apache HTTP Server
- Program testing software — Hewlett Packard LoadRunner; JUnit ; Selenium ; Travis
- Project management software — Atlassian Confluence; Confluence ; Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint
- Requirements analysis and system architecture software — Unified modeling language UML
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Transaction server software — Customer information control system CICS; Microsoft Internet Information Service IIS
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver
- Word processing software — Google Docs
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Design websites or web applications.
- Develop specifications or procedures for website development or maintenance.
- Update website content.
- Collaborate with others to resolve information technology issues.
- Conduct research to gain information about products or processes.
- Create images or other visual displays.
- Develop models of information or communications systems.
- Document design or development procedures.
- Prepare graphics or other visual representations of information.
- Test software performance.
- Analyze operational data to evaluate operations, processes or products.
- Collaborate with others to determine design specifications or details.
- Collaborate with others to develop or implement marketing strategies.
- Develop detailed project plans.
- Develop diagrams or flow charts of system operation.
- Develop testing routines or procedures.
- Document network-related activities or tasks.
- Gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
- Implement design or process improvements.
- Provide customer service to clients or users.
- Provide technical support for computer network issues.
- Resolve computer software problems.
- Supervise information technology personnel.
- Troubleshoot issues with computer applications or systems.
- Update knowledge about emerging industry or technology trends.
- Write computer programming code.
- Write reports or evaluations.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Web Developers and Digital Interface Designers.
Employment data for Web Developers and Digital Interface Designers.
Industry data for Web Developers and Digital Interface Designers.
|Median wages (2019)||$35.46 hourly, $73,760 annual|
|Employment (2019)||174,300 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Much faster than average (8% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||13,400|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.