Summary Report for:
53-1044.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Passenger Attendants
Supervise and coordinate activities of passenger attendants.
Sample of reported job titles: On Car Supervisor, Transportation Supervisor
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Analyze and record personnel or operational data and write related activity reports.
- Apply customer feedback to service improvement efforts.
- Compute or estimate cash, payroll, transportation, or personnel requirements.
- Confer with customers, supervisors, contractors, or other personnel to exchange information or to resolve problems.
- Direct or coordinate the activities of workers, such as flight or car attendants.
- Enforce safety rules and regulations.
- Explain and demonstrate work tasks to new workers or assign training tasks to experienced workers.
- Inform workers about interests or special needs of specific groups.
- Inspect materials, stock, vehicles, equipment, or facilities to ensure that they are safe, free of defects, and consistent with specifications.
- Inspect work areas or operating equipment to ensure conformance to established standards in areas such as cleanliness or maintenance.
- Meet with managers or other supervisors to stay informed of changes affecting operations.
- Observe and evaluate workers' appearance and performance to ensure quality service and compliance with specifications.
- Participate in continuing education to stay abreast of industry trends and developments.
- Recommend and implement measures to improve worker motivation, work methods, or customer services.
- Recruit and hire staff members.
- Requisition necessary supplies, equipment, or services.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding worker performance or services rendered.
- Take disciplinary action to address performance problems.
- Train workers in proper operational procedures and functions and explain company policies.
- Accounting software — General ledger software
- Calendar and scheduling software — Scheduling software; Work scheduling software
- Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Inventory management software — Inventory management systems
- Mobile location based services software — Accellos Real Dispatch; Commercial vehicle operations CVO software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Point of sale POS software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Time accounting software — Timekeeping software
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Explain regulations, policies, or procedures.
- Evaluate employee performance.
- Resolve customer complaints or problems.
- Determine resource needs.
- Direct material handling or moving activities.
- Inspect equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Inspect facilities, equipment or supplies to ensure conformance to standards.
- Inspect facilities.
- Maintain knowledge of business operations.
- Maintain professional knowledge or certifications.
- Order materials, supplies, or equipment.
- Perform human resources activities.
- Prepare operational reports or records.
- Recommend personnel decisions or human resources activities.
- Resolve issues affecting transportation operations.
- Supervise service workers.
- Support the professional development of others.
- Train service staff.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material Moving Workers, Except Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors.
Employment data for First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material Moving Workers, Except Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors.
Industry data for First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material Moving Workers, Except Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors.
|Median wages (2020)||$26.38 hourly, $54,870 annual|
|Employment (2019)||456,700 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||45,300|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.