- Develop or test photonic prototypes or models.
- Design, integrate, or test photonics systems or components.
- Conduct testing to determine functionality or optimization or to establish limits of photonics systems or components.
- Analyze, fabricate, or test fiber-optic links.
||Electro-Mechanical and Mechatronics Technologists and Technicians
- Test performance of electromechanical assemblies, using test instruments such as oscilloscopes, electronic voltmeters, or bridges.
- Develop, test, or program new robots.
- Operate, test, or maintain robotic equipment used for green production applications, such as waste-to-energy conversion systems, minimization of material waste, or replacement of human operators in dangerous work environments.
- Select and use laboratory, operational, or diagnostic techniques or test equipment to assess electromechanical circuits, equipment, processes, systems, or subsystems.
||Marine Engineers and Naval Architects
- Check, test, and maintain automatic controls and alarm systems.
- Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment.
- Design and oversee testing, installation, and repair of marine apparatus and equipment.
- Determine conditions under which tests are to be conducted, as well as sequences and phases of test operations.
||Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Inspect or test parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Perform or execute manual or automated tests of automotive system or component performance, efficiency, or durability.
- Participate in research or testing of computerized automotive applications, such as telemetrics, intelligent transportation systems, artificial intelligence, or automatic control.
||Radio Frequency Identification Device Specialists
- Test radio frequency identification device (RFID) software to ensure proper functioning.
- Install, test, or maintain radio frequency identification device (RFID) systems.
- Test tags or labels to ensure readability.
||Human Factors Engineers and Ergonomists
- Develop or implement human performance research, investigation, or analysis protocols.
- Develop or implement research methodologies or statistical analysis plans to test and evaluate developmental prototypes used in new products or processes, such as cockpit designs, user workstations, or computerized human models.
- Operate testing equipment, such as heat stress meters, octave band analyzers, motion analysis equipment, inclinometers, light meters, thermoanemometers, sling psychrometers, or colorimetric detection tubes.
||Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Assist engineers to design, develop, test, or manufacture industrial machinery, consumer products, or other equipment.
- Inspect and test mechanical equipment.
- Plan or schedule engineering research or development projects involving microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) technology.
- Conduct harsh environmental testing, accelerated aging, device characterization, or field trials to validate devices, using inspection tools, testing protocols, peripheral instrumentation, or modeling and simulation software.
- Develop or validate product-specific test protocols, acceptance thresholds, or inspection tools for quality control testing or performance measurement.
||Non-Destructive Testing Specialists
- Conduct liquid penetrant tests to locate surface cracks by coating objects with fluorescent dyes, cleaning excess penetrant, and applying developer.
- Develop or use new non-destructive testing methods, such as acoustic emission testing, leak testing, and thermal or infrared testing.
- Design validation study features, such as sampling, testing, or analytical methodologies.
- Prepare validation or performance qualification protocols for new or modified manufacturing processes, systems, or equipment for production of pharmaceuticals, electronics, or other products.
- Conduct or direct system-level automotive testing.
- Develop calibration methodologies, test methodologies, or tools.
||Environmental Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Decontaminate or test field equipment used to clean or test pollutants from soil, air, or water.
- Receive, set up, test, or decontaminate equipment.
||Nanotechnology Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Develop or modify wet chemical or industrial laboratory experimental techniques for nanoscale use.
- Perform functional tests of nano-enhanced assemblies, components, or systems, using equipment such as torque gauges or conductivity meters.
- Develop or test models of alternate designs or processing methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, operating condition effects, potential new applications, or necessity of modification.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
||Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Set up and operate specialized or standard test equipment to diagnose, test, or analyze the performance of electronic components, assemblies, or systems.
- Assemble, test, or maintain circuitry or electronic components, according to engineering instructions, technical manuals, or knowledge of electronics, using hand or power tools.
- Devise testing methods to evaluate the effects of various conditions on particular materials.
||Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technologists and Technicians
- Test aircraft systems under simulated operational conditions, performing systems readiness tests and pre- and post-operational checkouts, to establish design or fabrication parameters.
- Test agricultural machinery and equipment to ensure adequate performance.
||Calibration Technologists and Technicians
- Conduct calibration tests to determine performance or reliability of mechanical, structural, or electromechanical equipment.
- Test lighting equipment function and desired lighting effects.