||Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail or other materials and answer routine letters.
- Listen to customer requests, referring to alphabetical or geographical directories to answer questions and provide telephone information.
- Operate telephone switchboards and systems to advance and complete connections, including those for local, long distance, pay telephone, mobile, person-to-person, and emergency calls.
||Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen, or forward calls, providing information, taking messages, or scheduling appointments.
- Collect, sort, distribute, or prepare mail, messages, or courier deliveries.
||Public Safety Telecommunicators
- Receive incoming telephone or alarm system calls regarding emergency and non-emergency police and fire service, emergency ambulance service, information, and after-hours calls for departments within a city.
- Answer routine inquiries, and refer calls not requiring dispatches to appropriate departments and agencies.
||Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Answer incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.
- Monitor emergency and code alarms, make emergency announcements, or route emergency calls to the appropriate location.
||Office Clerks, General
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Open, sort, and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail.
||Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Answer phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties or take messages.
- Open, sort, and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email.
||Library Assistants, Clerical
- Perform clerical activities, such as answering phones, sorting mail, filing, typing, word processing, and photocopying and mailing out material.
||Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks
- Interview clients and take their calls to provide customer service and obtain information on claims.
- Answer incoming phone calls.
||Couriers and Messengers
- Open, sort, and distribute incoming mail.
||Billing and Posting Clerks
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as answering telephones, scheduling appointments, and ordering supplies or equipment.
||Court, Municipal, and License Clerks
- Perform administrative tasks, such as answering telephone calls, filing court documents, or maintaining office supplies or equipment.
- Answer telephone calls from potential customers who have been solicited through advertisements.
||Legal Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Receive and place telephone calls.
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
||Medical Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate staff.
||Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Perform patient services, such as answering the telephone or assisting patients with financial or medical questions.
||Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
||Word Processors and Typists
- Perform other clerical duties, such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes.