11-3051.05 - Methane/Landfill Gas Collection System Operators
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Methane/landfill gas collection system operators work in the following green economy sectors:
- Renewable Energy Generation — This sector covers activities related to developing and using energy sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass. This sector also includes traditional, non-renewable sources of energy undergoing significant green technological changes (e.g., oil, coal, gas, and nuclear).
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Coordinate the repair, overhaul, or routine maintenance of diesel engines used in landfill operations.
- Develop or enforce procedures for normal operation, start-up, or shut-down of methane gas collection systems.
- Diagnose or troubleshoot gas collection equipment and programmable logic controller (PLC) systems.
- Evaluate landfill gas collection service requirements to meet operational plans and productivity goals.
- Implement landfill operational and emergency procedures.
- Inspect landfill or conduct site audits to ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations.
- Maintain records for landfill gas collection systems to demonstrate compliance with safety and environmental laws, regulations, or policies.
- Monitor and control liquid or gas landfill extraction systems.
- Monitor gas collection systems emissions data, including biomethane or nitrous oxide levels.
- Monitor landfill permit requirements for updates.
- Operate computerized control panels to manage gas compression operations.
- Optimize gas collection landfill operational costs and productivity consistent with safety and environmental rules and regulations.
- Oversee gas collection landfill operations, including leachate and gas management or rail operations.
- Oversee landfill gas collection system construction, maintenance, and repair activities.
- Prepare and manage landfill gas collection system budgets.
- Prepare reports on landfill operations and gas collection system productivity or efficiency.
- Prepare soil reports as required by regulatory or permitting agencies.
- Read meters, gauges, or automatic recording devices at specified intervals to verify gas collection systems operating conditions.
- Recommend or implement practices to reduce turnaround time for trucks in and out of landfill site.
- Supervise landfill, well field, and other subordinate employees.
- Track volume and weight of landfill waste.