49-9021.01 - Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Heating and air conditioning mechanics and installers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Energy Efficiency — This sector covers activities related to increasing energy efficiency (broadly defined), making energy demand response more effective, constructing "smart grids," and other energy efficient activities.
- Green Construction — This sector covers activities related to constructing new green buildings, retrofitting residential and commercial buildings, and installing other green construction technology.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Install and test automatic, programmable, or wireless thermostats in residential or commercial buildings to minimize energy usage for heating or cooling.
- Install dehumidifiers or related equipment for spaces that require cool, dry air to operate efficiently, such as computer rooms.
- Install magnetic-centrifugal chillers, compressors, or related equipment to cool air temperatures through the use of recirculating water.
- Install or repair air purification systems, such as specialized filters or ultraviolet (UV) light purification systems.
- Install or repair self-contained ground source heat pumps or hybrid ground or air source heat pumps to minimize carbon-based energy consumption and reduce carbon emissions.
- Install radiator controls for room-level zone control heating of residential or commercial buildings.
- Repair or service heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to improve efficiency, such as by changing filters, cleaning ducts, or refilling non-toxic refrigerants.