Summary Report for:
15-1299.07 - Blockchain Engineers
Maintain and support distributed and decentralized blockchain-based networks or block-chain applications such as cryptocurrency exchange, payment processing, document sharing, and digital voting. Design and deploy secure block-chain design patterns and solutions over geographically distributed networks using advanced technologies. May assist with infrastructure setup and testing for application transparency and security.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assess blockchain threats, such as untested code and unprotected keys.
- Automate the deployment of software updates over geographically distributed network nodes.
- Design and deploy blockchain design patterns to make transactions secure, transparent, and immutable.
- Design and develop blockchain technologies for industries such as finance and music.
- Design and implement dashboard and data visualizations to meet customer reporting needs.
- Design and implement data repositories to integrate data.
- Design and verify cryptographic protocols to protect private information.
- Determine specifications for, or implement, logging.
- Develop a maintainable code base using object-oriented design principles, practices, or patterns.
- Discuss and plan systems with solution architects, system engineers, or cybersecurity experts to meet customer requirements.
- Discuss data needs with engineers, product managers, or data scientists to identify blockchain requirements.
- Evaluate blockchain processes or risks based on security assessments or control matrix reviews.
- Evaluate new blockchain technologies and vendor products.
- Implement catastrophic failure handlers to identify security breaches and prevent serious damage.
- Run infrastructure tests to examine the behavior of large peer-to-peer networks.
- Test the security and performance of blockchain infrastructures.
- Update client and server applications responsible for integration and business logic.
Detailed Work Activities
- Design integrated computer systems.
- Discuss design or technical features of products or services with technical personnel.
- Implement security measures for computer or information systems.
- Test computer system operations to ensure proper functioning.
- Write computer programming code.
- Analyze security of systems, network, or data.
- Create databases to store electronic data.
- Design software applications.
- Develop computer or information security policies or procedures.
- Develop procedures for data management.
- Evaluate new technologies or methods.
- Evaluate utility of software or hardware technologies.
- Install computer software.
- Maintain computer equipment or software.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
Employment data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
Industry data for Computer Occupations, All Other.
|Median wages (2020)||$44.65 hourly, $92,870 annual|
|Employment (2020)||442,200 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)||Average (5% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||37,500|
|Top industries (2020)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2020-2030 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.