Details Report for:
15-1143.00 - Computer Network Architects
Design and implement computer and information networks, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranets, extranets, and other data communications networks. Perform network modeling, analysis, and planning. May also design network and computer security measures. May research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
Sample of reported job titles: Design Engineer, Network Analyst, Network and Security Engineer, Network Consultant, Network Systems Consultant, Networking Systems and Distributed Systems Engineer, Solutions Architect, Telecommunications Analyst
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Access software — Access management software; Citrix ; Remote access software
- Administration software — Cisco Systems CiscoWorks; Netreo OmniCenter; Riverbed Technology; SolarWinds (see all 14 examples)
- Analytical or scientific software — Discrete event simulation software; Minitab ; Root cause analysis software
- Application server software — Docker ; GitHub ; Oracle WebLogic Server ; Red Hat WildFly (see all 8 examples)
- Authentication server software — Microsoft Forefront Identify Manager
- Backup or archival software — Computer Associates ArcServ Backup; System and data disaster recovery software; Veritas NetBackup
- Bridge software — Network bridge software
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — IBM Cognos Impromptu ; MicroStrategy ; Qlik Tech QlikView ; Tableau (see all 5 examples)
- Communications server software — Email management software; IBM Domino
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD ; Autodesk Revit ; Dassault Systemes CATIA ; Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Computer based training software
- Configuration management software — Chef ; Perforce Helix software; Puppet ; VMWare (see all 9 examples)
- Content workflow software — Atlassian JIRA
- Data base management system software — Apache Hive ; Elasticsearch ; MySQL ; Teradata Database (see all 12 examples)
- Data base reporting software — Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services ; Network reporting software
- Data base user interface and query software — AWS Redshift ; Microsoft Access ; Oracle JDBC ; Transact-SQL (see all 7 examples)
- Desktop communications software — BroadSoft BroadWorks
- Development environment software — Apache Maven ; Eclipse IDE ; Microsoft Azure ; Verilog (see all 19 examples)
- Electronic mail software — IBM Notes ; Microsoft Exchange Server
- Enterprise application integration software — Atlassian Bamboo ; Extensible markup language XML ; IBM InfoSphere DataStage ; IBM WebSphere (see all 5 examples)
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; Oracle Fusion Applications ; SAP
- Enterprise system management software — IBM Power Systems software; Splunk Enterprise
- Expert system software — Ansible software
- File versioning software — Apache Subversion SVN ; Git
- Financial analysis software — Oracle E-Business Suite Financials
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Fireworks; Microsoft Visio ; Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Helpdesk or call center software — Help desk software; Ticket information tracking software
- Human resources software — Human resource management software HRMS
- Industrial control software — Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Internet directory services software — Domain name system DNS; Microsoft Active Directory
- Internet protocol IP multimedia subsystem software — Multiprotocol Label Switching MPLS; Open Shortest Path First OSPF; Session Initiation Protocol SIP; Voice over internet protocol VoiP system software
- LAN software — Local area network LAN software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software
- Metadata management software — CA Erwin Data Modeler
- Network monitoring software — Nagios ; Packet analysis software; Symantec Intruder Alert; Wireshark (see all 22 examples)
- Network operating system enhancement software — Compuware dynaTrace; Infoblox NetMRI; Silver Peak; Wide area network WAN optimization software (see all 7 examples)
- Network security and virtual private network VPN equipment software — Content filter software; Firewall software; Network intrusion detection software
- Network security or virtual private network VPN management software — Intrusion prevention system IPS; LogRhythm; Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway; Virtual private networking VPN software (see all 11 examples)
- Object or component oriented development software — C++ ; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl ; Python ; Scala (see all 10 examples)
- Object oriented data base management software — Hibernate ORM ; PostgreSQL
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Bash ; Job control language JCL ; Linux ; Microsoft Windows (see all 17 examples)
- Optical network management software
- Pattern design software — Diagramming software
- Portal server software — Apache HTTP Server
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Program testing software — Hewlett Packard LoadRunner; JUnit ; Segue SilkPerformer; Selenium (see all 5 examples)
- Project management software — Confluence ; Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint
- Requirements analysis and system architecture software — Capacity planning software; Network architecture design software; Requirements management software; Unified modeling language UML
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Storage networking software — Network storage software; Storage area network SAN software; Storage management software
- Switch or router software — Border Gateway Protocol BGP; Cisco Systems Cisco Web Cache Communication Protocol WCCP; Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links TRILL; Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol VRRP (see all 8 examples)
- Time accounting software — Time reporting software
- Transaction security and virus protection software — CA eTrust; McAfee ; Ping Identity; Symantec (see all 9 examples)
- Transaction server software — Customer information control system CICS
- Video conferencing software — Videoconferencing software
- Video creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects
- WAN switching software and firmware — Wide area network WAN software
- Web platform development software — Apache Tomcat ; Enterprise JavaBeans ; Google AngularJS ; Microsoft ASP.NET Core MVC (see all 23 examples)
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Access servers — Lightweight directory access protocol LDAP servers; Remote access servers
- Broadband aggregators — Broadband aggregation equipment
- Computer servers — Domain name servers DNS; File servers; Mail transport servers; Network-attached storage NAS equipment (see all 6 examples)
- Desktop computers
- Digital telephones — Voice over internet protocol VoIP systems
- Digital testers — Bit error rate testers BERT
- Firewall network security equipment — Firewall equipment
- Frequency analyzers — Spectrum analyzers
- Hard disk arrays — Redundant array of independent disks RAID systems
- High end computer servers — Workstations
- Integrated services digital network ISDN testers — Integrated services digital network ISDN analyzers
- Interferometers — Optical spectrum analyzers
- Mainframe computers
- Multimeters — Network multimeters
- Network analyzers — Asynchronous transfer mode ATM analyzers; Local area network LAN analyzers; Network connectivity testers; Wide area network WAN analyzers (see all 9 examples)
- Network cable management panel assembly — Network cabling systems
- Network channel or data service units — Channel banks; Network channel service units CSU or data service units DSU
- Network management or monitoring device — Packet analysis equipment
- Network routers — Computer network routers
- Network service concentrators or hubs — Intelligent hubs
- Network switches — Computer network switches; Local area network LAN switches; Voice switches; Wide area network WAN switches
- Network traffic controller — Wireless network controllers
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Power meters — Fiber optic power meters
- Protocol analyzers
- Radio frequency data communication equipment — Radio frequency RF antennas
- Reflectometers — Time domain reflectometers
- Server load balancer — Load balancers; Network server load balancers
- Storage area network SAN switch — Storage area network SAN switches
- Tablet computers
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Voice data video cable tester — Communication cable testers
- WLAN wireless access network equipment and components — Wireless access points WAP; Wireless local area network WLAN controllers
- Develop computer or information security policies or procedures.
- Recommend changes to improve computer or information systems.
- Maintain contingency plans for disaster recovery.
- Analyze data to identify or resolve operational problems.
- Monitor the performance of computer networks.
- Coordinate project activities with other personnel or departments.
- Maintain computer networks to enhance performance and user access.
- Develop models of information or communications systems.
- Develop specifications for computer network operation.
- Provide technical support for computer network issues.
- Resolve computer network problems.
- Update knowledge about emerging industry or technology trends.
- Evaluate project designs to determine adequacy or feasibility.
- Install computer hardware.
- Install computer software.
- Modify software programs to improve performance.
- Document network-related activities or tasks.
- Estimate time or monetary resources needed to complete projects.
- Supervise information technology personnel.
- Conduct research to gain information about products or processes.
- Test computer hardware performance.
- Collaborate with others to determine design specifications or details.
- Communicate project information to others.
- Configure computer networks.
- Design integrated computer systems.
- Manage budgets for appropriate resource allocation.
- Manage financial activities of the organization.
- Coordinate software or hardware installation.
- Develop information communication procedures.
- Manage documentation to ensure organization or accuracy.
- Maintain computer hardware.
- Develop testing routines or procedures.
- Collaborate with others to resolve information technology issues.
- Teach others to use computer equipment or hardware.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|11-3021.00||Computer and Information Systems Managers|
|15-1121.00||Computer Systems Analysts|
|15-1122.00||Information Security Analysts|
|15-1132.00||Software Developers, Applications|
|15-1133.00||Software Developers, Systems Software Green|
|15-1142.00||Network and Computer Systems Administrators|
|15-1199.02||Computer Systems Engineers/Architects Bright Outlook|
|17-2061.00||Computer Hardware Engineers|
|17-2072.00||Electronics Engineers, Except Computer|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$52.41 hourly, $109,020 annual|
|Employment (2018)||159,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Average (4% to 6%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||12,200|
|Top industries (2018)||
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (35% employed in this sector)
Finance and Insurance (10%)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Center of Excellence for Information and Computing Technology
- IEEE Computer Society
- Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals
- International Association for Computer Information Systems
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Computer network architects