Details Report for:
25-1072.00 - Nursing Instructors and Teachers, Postsecondary
Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Sample of reported job titles: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Clinical Nursing Instructor, Faculty Member, Instructor, Lecturer, Nurse Educator, Nursing Instructor, Nursing Professor, Professor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Common Curriculum; Moodle; Sakai CLE (see all 7 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Blackboard software; Data entry software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — MEDITECH software
- Multi-media educational software — Interactive learning software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint ; Presentation graphics software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Macromedia Shockwave Player
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Anatomical human mannequins for medical education or training — Anatomical models; Intravenous simulation arms; Pelvic exam simulators
- Angioplasty balloon catheters
- Apnea monitors
- Arterial blood gas monitors — Arterial blood gas kits
- Bedpans — Patient bedpans
- Blanket frames or lifters — Foot cradles
- Blood pressure cuff kits — Sphygmomanometers
- Blood pressure recording units — Noninvasive automatic blood pressure machines
- Blood transfusion administration kits — Auto transfusion systems
- Canes — Walking canes
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units — Cardiac monitors; Hemodynamic monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generators or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemakers CRT-P — Transvenous pacemakers
- Chest tubes — Chest tube drainage systems
- Clinical trapeze bars — Bed trapezes
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Computerized medication dispensing cabinets — Automated medicine dispensing machines
- Continuous passive motion CPM devices — Continuous passive motion CPM machines
- Desktop computers
- Dial calibrated intravenous flowmeters or regulators — Infusion control devices
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitters or telemetry devices — Telemetry monitors
- Emergency or resuscitation carts — Crash carts
- Endoscopic hemostatic balloons or needles or tubes or accessories — Straight hemostats
- Enteral feeding infusion pumps — Patient feeding pumps
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Extremity restraints — Patient leg restraints
- Facial shields — Protective face shields
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Oxygen flow meters
- Geriatric chairs
- Glucose monitors or meters — Blood glucose monitors
- Goggles — Protective goggles
- Handheld thermometer — Digital thermometers
- Hydrometers — Urometers
- Infusion pump kits — Insulin pumps
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Intraaortic balloon pumps — Intra-aortic balloon pumps IABP
- Intracranial pressure ICP monitoring units — Intracranial pressure ICP monitors
- Intravenous or arterial catheter trays — Catheter trays; Irrigation trays
- Intravenous or arterial fluid warmers — Blood warmers
- Intravenous tubing with catheter administration kits — Intravenous tubing
- Lancets — Lancet needles
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Medical acoustic stethoscopes — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical exam or non surgical procedure gloves — Protective medical gloves
- Medical exam or procedure tables for general use — Medical examination tables
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Oxygen masks
- Medical staff isolation or cover gowns — Chemotherapy protective wear
- Medical tape measures
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echocardiograph monitors — Bladder ultrasound equipment
- Mercury blood pressure units — Manual blood pressure cuffs
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- Mobile medical services automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED
- Mobile medical services cardio pulmonary resuscitation CPR boards
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Multiparameter vital sign units — Transport cardiac monitors
- Nasogastric tubes
- Nebulizers — Handheld nebulizers
- Non invasive bi level machines — Bilevel positive airway pressure BiPAP ventilators
- Non invasive continuous positive air pressure machines — Mechanical ventilators
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Otoscopes
- Orthopedic traction hardware or weights — Traction weights
- Ostomy appliances — Ostomy equipment
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Patient bed or table scales for general use — Patient bed scales
- Patient chairs — Cardiac chairs
- Patient controlled analgesia infusion pumps — Patient controlled analgesia PCA pumps
- Patient floor scales — Medical scales
- Patient lifts — Hoyer lifts; Mechanical patient lifts
- Patient shifting boards — Patient transfer boards
- Perfusion oxygen or hematocrit saturation monitors — Venous oxygen saturation SVO2 monitors
- Pericardiocentesis needles or kits — Pericardiocentesis kits
- Peripherally inserted central catheters PICC
- Peritoneal dialysis administration sets — Permacaths
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Pill crushers or splitters for the physically challenged — Pill crushers
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Resuscitation masks — Ambu bags
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Shower or bath chairs or seats for the physically challenged — Shower chairs
- Sitz baths for the physically challenged — Portable sitz baths
- Skin staple removers or kits — Medical staple removers
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Spill kits — Chemotherapy spill kits
- Spirometers — Incentive spirometers
- Stethoscope headsets
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps — Occlusion clamps
- Surgical drain or set accessories — Drainage tubes
- Surgical scissors — Medical scissors
- Suture removal kits or trays or packs or sets — Suture removal kits
- Tablet computers
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Therapeutic heating or cooling blankets or drapes — Therapeutic cooling blankets
- Thoracentesis sets or trays — Thoracentesis trays
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Tracheotomy surgical instrument sets — Tracheotomy kits
- Urethral urinary catheters — Foley catheters
- Urinalysis analyzer accessories or supplies — Urine strainers
- Vascular or compression apparel or support — Pneumatic boots
- Ventricular assist devices — Ventricular assist devices VAD
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Walkers or rollators — Walkers
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Whirlpool tub — Portable whirlpools
- Evaluate student work.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Supervise laboratory work.
- Guide class discussions.
- Teach physical science or mathematics courses at the college level.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Assess educational needs of students.
- Prepare tests.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Develop instructional materials.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Maintain student records.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
- Collaborate with other agencies and institutions to coordinate educational matters.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Direct department activities.
- Evaluate performance of educational staff.
- Monitor performance of organizational members or partners.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
- Write grant proposals.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1071.00||Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
|25-1192.00||Family and Consumer Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1193.00||Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|29-1031.00||Dietitians and Nutritionists|
|29-1141.02||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses|
|29-1141.04||Clinical Nurse Specialists|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$75,470 annual|
|Employment (2020)||72,600 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)||Much faster than average (15% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||9,000|
|Top industries (2020)||
Educational Services (93% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2020-2030 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
- Council of Graduate Schools
- Eastern Nursing Research Society
- Emergency Nurses Association
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- National League for Nursing
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Postsecondary teachers
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International