Details Report for:
25-1194.00 - Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school, industrial, and commercial instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
Sample of reported job titles: Automotive Instructor; Automotive Technology Instructor; Cosmetology Instructor; Flight Instructor; HVAC-R Instructor (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, And Refrigeration Instructor); Instructor; Medical Assistant Instructor; Professor; Teacher; Welding Instructor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Desire2Learn; Learning management system LMS; Sakai CLE (see all 5 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Blackboard; Career management systems CMS; Data entry software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Fireworks
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — Medical condition coding software ; Medical procedure coding software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Anatomical human mannequins for medical education or training — Educational anatomy models
- Bar code reader equipment — Handheld bar code readers
- Battery hydrometer — Battery conductance testers
- Bearing fitting tool kits — Cam bearing driver sets
- Brake drum lathe — Brake drum lathes
- Brake repair kits — Brake shoe adjusting gauges; Brake spoons; Brake spring removers
- Brake spring pliers
- Calipers — Digital calipers
- Clutch repair kits — Clutch alignment sets
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital camcorders; Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Domestic hair dryers — Blowdryers; Stationary hairdryers
- Electric hair clipper — Hair clippers
- Electric vehicle charging kit — Refrigerant charging stations
- Electronic reader or E-reader — E-readers
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first aid kits
- Engine tune up tester — Engine analyzers
- Engravers — Laser engravers
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Flat nose pliers — Boot clamp pliers
- Glue guns — Hot glue guns
- Hair combs or brushes — Hairbrushes
- Hand trucks or accessories — Hand trucks
- Handheld thermometer — Electronic thermometers
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Hold down clamps — Hose clamps
- Hole punching units — Hole punchers
- Industrial hydraulic press — Hydraulic presses
- Injectors — Dye injectors
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Label making machines — Label makers
- Laminators — Laminating equipment
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Liquid level controls or instruments — Coolant testers
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Oxygen tanks
- Mercury blood pressure units — Manual blood pressure cuffs
- Micrometers — Brake disc micrometers; Brake drum micrometers
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Nebulizer or accessories — Handheld nebulizers
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmic lensometers — Optometric lensometers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Otoscopes
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Paper cutters or refills — Paper cutters
- Patient restraint boards or accessories — Arm board stabilizers
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Pneumatic hammer — Air chisel sets
- Pneumatic vacuum equipment — Brake bleeders
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Power grease gun — Handheld grease guns
- Power steering tuning cable — Power steering pump pulleys
- Pressure gauge — Ball gauges; Hydraulic pressure gauge sets
- Pressure indicators — Cooling system pressure testers
- Pressure regulator — Air pressure regulators
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Ratchets — Air ratchets
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Screwdrivers — Screwdriver sets
- Shears — Hair cutting shears
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Soldering iron — Soldering guns
- Sound detector — Automotive stethoscopes
- Spark plug gap gauge — Spark plug feeler gauges
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Spirometers
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Autoclave sterilizers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Dressing forceps
- Swiveling barber chair — Shampoo chairs
- Tablet computers
- Taps — Tap and die sets
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Tire pressure gauge — Tire pressure gauges
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Vehicle jack — Vehicle jack stands
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Wheel alignment equipment — Wheel aligners
- Wheel balancing equipment — Wheel balancers
- Monitor student performance.
- Evaluate student work.
- Apply multiple teaching methods.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Tutor students who need extra assistance.
- Maintain student records.
- Plan educational activities.
- Prepare reports detailing student activities or performance.
- Assess educational needs of students.
- Supervise laboratory work.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Maintain inventories of materials, equipment, or products.
- Teach vocational courses.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Create technology-based learning materials.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Schedule instructional activities.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|11-9051.00||Food Service Managers|
|21-1093.00||Social and Human Service Assistants|
|25-2011.00||Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education|
|25-2023.00||Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School|
|25-2032.00||Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School|
|25-3021.00||Self-Enrichment Education Teachers Bright Outlook|
|39-1021.00||First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers|
|43-1011.00||First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$25.54 hourly, $53,120 annual|
|Employment (2018)||126,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Decline (-2% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||9,800|
|Top industries (2018)||
Educational Services (92% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Association for Vocational Instructional Materials
- American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- American Dental Assistants Association
- American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
- American Society of Radiologic Technologists
- American Welding Society
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- National Business Education Association
- National Education Association
- National League for Nursing
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Career and technical education teachers
- Professional Beauty Association
- The American Institute of Architects