Details Report for:
25-2032.00 - Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
Teach occupational, career and technical, or vocational subjects at the secondary school level in public or private schools.
Sample of reported job titles: Agricultural Education Teacher, Allied Health Teacher, Business Education Teacher, Cosmetology Teacher, Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher (FACS Teacher), Instructor, Marketing Education Teacher, Teacher, Technology Education Teacher, Welding Instructor
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Desire2Learn; Learning management system LMS; Sakai CLE (see all 5 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable wrench sets
- Air compressors — Portable air compressors
- Automatic lathe or chucking machine — Wood lathes
- Awls — Hand awls
- Belt sander — Belt sanders
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Binocular microscopes
- Blow torch — Propane torches
- Calipers — Caliper sets
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cold chisels
- Commercial use scales — Food measuring scales
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Composter — Compost grinders
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Dissection kits or supplies — Dissection trays
- Domestic baking pans — Kitchen bakeware
- Domestic blenders — Kitchen blenders
- Domestic convectional ovens — Built-in ovens
- Domestic crock pot — Kitchen crock pots
- Domestic dish washers — Commercial dishwashers
- Domestic food processors — Kitchen food processors
- Domestic graters — Food graters
- Domestic hair dryers — Blowdryers; Stationary hairdryers
- Domestic knives — Chef's knives
- Domestic measuring cups — Measuring cup sets
- Domestic microwave ovens — Microwave ovens
- Domestic mixers — Hand mixers
- Domestic ranges — Electric ranges
- Domestic strainers or colanders — Kitchen strainers
- Drafting tables — Drafting boards
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses
- Ear plugs — Protective ear plugs
- Electric hair clipper — Power hair clippers
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Facial shields — Face shields
- Fire blankets — Fire suppression blankets
- Fluorescent lamps — Grow lights
- General tool kits — Computer repair tool kits
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hair combs or brushes — Hairbrushes
- Heat guns — Heat gun blowers
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Incubators or brooders for poultry — Poultry brooders
- Injection molding machines — Injection mold equipment
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Ironing machines or presses — Clothes irons
- Jacks — Hydraulic jacks
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Laundry type washing machines — Domestic washers
- Levels — Electronic levels; Laser levels
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Micrometers — Digital micrometers
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- Milling machines
- Mitre box — Mitre boxes
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Multimeters — Digital multimeters
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Offset printing presses — Offset presses
- Offset socket wrenches
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- pH meters — pH indicators
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Planes — Block planes
- Plotter printers — Plotting printers
- Pneumatic nail drivers — Pneumatic nailers
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Power drills — Cordless drills; Electric drills
- Power planes
- Power saws — Band saws; Circular saws; Radial arm saws; Table saws
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Reciprocating saw — Sabre saws
- Safety glasses — Protective safety glasses
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Screwdrivers — Straight screwdrivers
- Scroll saw — Scroll saws
- Sewing machines
- Shears — Cutting shears; Sewing shears
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Soldering iron — Soldering guns
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Spot welding machine — Electric spot welders
- Swiveling barber chair — Shampoo chairs
- Tablet computers
- Tachometers — Analog tachometers
- Taps — Tap and die sets
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Tungsten inert gas welding machine — Tungsten inert gas TIG welders
- Vertical machining center — Metal lathes
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Welder gloves — Welding gloves
- Welder torch — Welding torches
- Welding masks — Welding goggles; Welding helmets
- Welding positioner and manipulator — Magnetic torch guides
- Evaluate student work.
- Monitor student performance.
- Monitor student behavior, social development, or health.
- Set up classroom materials or equipment.
- Maintain student records.
- Establish rules or policies governing student behavior.
- Teach others to use technology or equipment.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Apply multiple teaching methods.
- Teach vocational courses.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Prepare tests.
- Plan educational activities.
- Assign class work to students.
- Create technology-based learning materials.
- Discuss problems or issues with supervisors.
- Discuss student progress with parents or guardians.
- Encourage students.
- Enforce rules or policies governing student behavior.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Plan experiential learning activities.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Assist students with special educational needs.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Prepare reports detailing student activities or performance.
- Distribute instructional or library materials.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Develop strategies or programs for students with special needs.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Collaborate with other teaching professionals to develop educational programs.
- Coordinate student extracurricular activities.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Supervise school or student activities.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include accountants, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1194.00||Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-2021.00||Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education|
|25-2022.00||Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-2023.00||Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School|
|25-2031.00||Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|39-1021.00||First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2017)||$58,660 annual|
|Employment (2016)||79,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2016-2026)||Average (5% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2016-2026)||6,000|
|Top industries (2016)||
Educational Services (96% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2017 wage data and 2016-2026 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2016-2026). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Advance CTE
- American Association for Vocational Instructional Materials
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- American Dental Assistants Association
- American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
- American Welding Society
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Association of Agricultural Educators
- National Business Education Association
- National Education Association
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
- North American Council of Automotive Teachers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Career/technical education teachers