Details Report for:
45-1011.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers
Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of agricultural, forestry, aquacultural, and related workers.
The occupation code you requested, 45-1011.05 (First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 45-1011.00 (First-Line Supervisors of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: Cattle Manager, Field Operations Farm Manager, Fish Farm Manager, Fish Hatchery Manager, Harvest Supervisor, Harvesting Supervisor, Logging Crew Foreman, Logging Supervisor, Pest Management Supervisor, Supervisor Grower
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Accounting software — BCS Woodlands Software The Logger Tracker; Sage 50 Accounting
- Calendar and scheduling software — Employee scheduling software; Work scheduling software
- Data base user interface and query software — Cattlesoft CattleMax; Data entry software ; Database software; Valley Agricultural Software DairyCOMP 305 (see all 5 examples)
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Midwest MicroSystems Cow Sense
- Expert system software — Valley Agricultural Software Feed Watch
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Inventory management software — Landmark Sales LOG-istics; TradeTec Computer Systems TallyWorks Logs
- Map creation software — Mapping software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Confluence
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Time accounting software — Payroll software
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable hand wrenches
- Agricultural tractors — Logging tractors; Multipurpose tractors
- Air compressors
- Air dryers — Grain dryers
- Air pumps — Aeration pumps
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — Four wheel drive 4WD vehicles
- Animal husbandry equipment — Debeakers; Dehorners; Feed wagons; Tail dockers
- Animal shearing or clipping equipment — Clipping equipment; Shearing equipment
- Animal watering machines — Automatic watering devices
- Animal weighing scales — Electronic animal scales; Fish weighing scales
- Blast freezers — Blast chillers
- Blood collection syringes — Blood drawing syringes
- Bridles — Horse bridles
- Cargo trucks — Grain trucks
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cleaning brushes — Tank cleaning brushes
- Commercial fishing nets — Fish capture nets; Fyke nets; Gill nets; Hoop nets
- Conventional truck cranes — Mobile logging cranes
- Conveyor screw — Feed conveyors
- Cultivators — Rototillers; Soil tillers
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Video camera systems
- Dissolved oxygen meters — Dissolved oxygen indicators
- Diving instruments or accessories — Scuba diving equipment
- Dollies — Logging arches
- Dropping pipettes — Irrigation pipettes
- Dump trucks
- Egg inspection or collecting equipment — Egg candlers; Egg grading machines; Egg washing machines
- Feed mixers — Automated feed batch mixers
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors — Drop spreaders; Manure spreaders
- Flatbed trailers — Mud sleds
- Flowmeters — Flow meters
- Fog or mist generators — Fog systems; Fumigators
- Forestry saws — Pruning shears; Tree pruning equipment
- Forestry skidders — Log skidders
- Front end loaders
- Garden forks — Pitchforks
- Gas generators — Gas-powered generators
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Geodetic ground global positioning system GPS receivers
- Grapples — Timber tongs
- Greenhouse ventilation equipment — Greenhouse climate control systems
- Hand sprayers — Handheld spray guns
- Handheld thermometer — Handheld digital thermometers
- Hard hats
- Harvesters — Crop harvesters; Forage harvesters
- Haymaking machinery — Hay rakes; Round balers; Square balers
- Hoists — Hoisting racks
- Incubators or brooders for poultry — Poultry incubators
- Irrigation overheads — Field watering systems
- Laboratory beakers — Glass beakers
- Lawnmowers — Flail mowers; Riding mowers
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Light pickup trucks
- Livestock identification equipment — Ear tagging equipment
- Livestock trailers — Animal trailers
- Lumbering equipment — Chain flail delimbers; Grapple processors; Grapple yarders; Sawbucks (see all 9 examples)
- Marine hatchery equipment — Hatching trays
- Milking machines — Milk separators; Milking equipment
- Multipurpose or general test tubes — Laboratory test tubes
- Nebulizer or accessories — Nebulizers
- Personal computers
- pH meters — pH indicators
- Pisciculture supplies — Automatic fish feeders; Fish tagging equipment; Fish traps; Video scanning fish counters (see all 9 examples)
- Ploughs — Plows
- Portable data input terminals — Portable data collectors
- Post hole digger — Post hole diggers
- Power drills — Cordless drills
- Power saws — Chain saws
- Recreational motorboats — Small power boats
- Recreational rowboats — Rowboats
- Respirators — Dust and particulate respirators
- Saddles — Horse saddles
- Saws — Hand saws
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Seed drills
- Shovels — Long handle shovels
- Snowplow attachments — Snowplows
- Socket sets — Socket wrench sets
- Sonars — Sonar equipment
- Spades — Digging spades
- Sprayers — Chemical injection systems; Weed sprayers
- Squeegees or washers — Squeegees
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes
- Track bulldozers — Tracked bulldozers
- Track excavators — Tracked excavators
- Track loaders — Knuckleboom loaders
- Two way radios
- Ultraviolet disinfection equipment — Ultraviolet water purification systems
- Veterinary castration instruments — Castration equipment
- Veterinary injection or suction units or accessories — Animal injection syringes; Animal vaccination syringes; Balling guns; Suction syringes (see all 6 examples)
- Veterinary nail trimmers or cutters — Hoof trimmers; Nail trimmers
- Water analyzers — Water testers
- Water pumps — Water transfer systems
- Water purification equipment — Ozone water purification systems
- Water samplers — Total dissolved solids TDS meters
- Wet mops — Cleaning mops
- Winches — Cable winches
- Assign duties or work schedules to employees.
- Record agricultural or forestry inventory data.
- Inspect products or operations to ensure that standards are met.
- Monitor animal behavior or condition.
- Train workers in farming, forestry, or hunting techniques.
- Treat animal injuries or illnesses.
- Confer with managers to make operational decisions.
- Communicate with other workers to coordinate activities.
- Evaluate quality of plants or crops.
- Coordinate forestry or agricultural activities.
- Schedule agricultural or forestry work.
- Operate farming equipment.
- Direct activities of agricultural, forestry, or fishery employees.
- Transport animals, crops, or equipment.
- Inspect equipment or facilities to determine condition or maintenance needs.
- Monitor organizational processes.
- Maintain personnel records.
- Maintain inventories of materials, equipment, or products.
- Monitor financial activities.
- Direct technical activities or operations.
- Maintain forestry, hunting, or agricultural equipment.
- Monitor operational quality or safety.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$24.08 hourly, $50,080 annual|
|Employment (2019)||53,200 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Decline (-1% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||6,900|
|Top industries (2019)||
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, and Hunting (61% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- American Fisheries Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Catfish Farmers of America
- East Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- International Horsemanship Association
- Laboratory Animal Management Association
- National Shellfisheries Association
- United States Trout Farmers Association
- World Aquaculture Society