Details Report for:
45-2092.01 - Nursery Workers
Work in nursery facilities or at customer location planting, cultivating, harvesting, and transplanting trees, shrubs, or plants.
Sample of reported job titles: Gardener, Greenhouse Staff, Greenhouse Worker, Grower, Harvester, Nursery Worker, Packer, Plant Production Worker, Propagation Worker, Transplant Worker
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Electronic mail software — IBM Lotus Notes
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable hand wrenches
- Agricultural rollers — Bed formers; Bed rollers; Drum rollers
- Agricultural tractors — Tractors
- Air compressors
- Air dryers — Seed dryers
- Axes — Pick axes
- Battery chargers — Battery booster cables; Portable battery chargers
- Battery testers — Battery power testers
- Broadcast spreaders — Garden hand seeders; Mulch spreaders; Rotary spreaders; Sand spreaders
- Calipers — Digital calipers; Tree calipers
- Cargo trucks
- Cleaning machines for seed or grain or dried leguminous vegetables — Seed tumblers
- Coiled tubing injector heads — Siphon proportioners
- Compasses — Drafting compasses
- Counters — Hand tallies
- Cultivators — Garden cultivators; Rotary tillers
- Desktop computers
- Digging bars — Bulb planters; Tree feeding augers; Tree planting bars
- Disks — Disk tillage equipment
- Dusters — Garden dusters
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors — Drop spreaders; Fertilizer injectors
- Forestry increment borers — Increment borers
- Forklifts — Field forklifts
- Gas generators — Portable generators
- Gas masks — Canister gas masks
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Grease guns
- Greenhouse irrigation equipment — Greenhouse irrigation systems
- Greenhouse ventilation equipment — Carbon dioxide systems; Greenhouse ventilation systems; Humidifiers; Humidity systems
- Grinding machines — Chain saw sharpeners
- Grinding wheels — Knife sharpeners
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hammers — Nail hammers
- Hand sprayers — Hand held sprayers; Hose-end sprayers; Tree marking guns
- Hand trucks or accessories — Handtrucks
- Handheld thermometer — Soil thermometers
- Hedge clippers — Hedge shears; Power hedge trimmers
- High branch shears — Pole pruners
- Hoes — Garden hoes
- Industrial funnels — Funnels
- Integrated tool carriers — Pipe trailers
- Irrigation trickles — Drip emitters
- Label making tapes — Tie tape machines
- Lawnmowers — Reel mowers; Rotary mowers; Vertical mowers
- Levels — Digital levels
- Locking pliers — Mole grips
- Masks or accessories — Dust masks
- Measuring rods — Tree scale sticks
- Measuring wheels for distance — Measuring wheels
- Moisture meters — Soil moisture meters
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Open end wrenches
- pH meters — Soil pH meters
- Picks — Mattocks
- Pipe or tube cutter — Tube cutters
- Planters — Planting augers
- Ploughs — Plows
- Pocket calculator — Handheld calculators
- Post hole digger — Post hole diggers; Stake drivers
- Power blowers
- Power drills — Hand drills; Portable electric drills
- Power saws — Chain saws
- Power trimmers — String trimmers
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Pressure washers
- Protective coveralls — Spray suits
- Pry bars — Wrecking bars
- Pull spring balances — Hanging spring scales
- Rakes — Garden bow rakes; Leaf rakes
- Rubber mallet — Rubber mallets
- Rulers — Measuring rules
- Saws — Arborist saws; Bow saws; Compass saws; Pruning saws
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Slotted screwdrivers
- Secateurs or pruning shears — Grass shears; Loppers; Root pruning scissors; Thorn strippers (see all 13 examples)
- Seed drills
- Seeder attachment — Hydromulchers
- Sharpening stones or tools or kits — Sharpening stones
- Shovels — Round point shovels; Square point shovels
- Sledge hammer — Sledgehammers
- Soil core sampling apparatus — Soil augers; Soil sampling tubes
- Spades — Garden spades; Garden spading forks
- Sprayers — Compressed air sprayers
- Staple guns
- Stationary separation equipment or parts or screens — Screen separators
- Surface thermometers — Indoor/outdoor thermometers
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes; Tree diameter tapes
- Trowels — Transplanting trowels
- Utility knives — Bench grafting knives; Budding knives; Pruning knives; Rose budding knives (see all 6 examples)
- Water sprinklers — Impulse sprinklers; Oscillating sprinklers
- Plant crops, trees, or other plants.
- Apply chemical solutions to plants to protect against disease or insects or to enhance growth.
- Transport animals, crops, or equipment.
- Sell agricultural products.
- Harvest agricultural products.
- Mark agricultural or forestry products for identification.
- Operate irrigation systems.
- Package agricultural products for shipment or further processing.
- Evaluate quality of plants or crops.
- Advise others on farming or forestry operations, regulations, or equipment.
- Build agricultural structures.
- Cut trees or logs.
- Maintain inventories of materials, equipment, or products.
- Maintain operational records.
- Prepare land for agricultural use.
- Capture or kill animals.
- Clean equipment or facilities.
- Operate farming equipment.
|Title||Job Zone Two: Some Preparation Needed|
|Education||These occupations usually require a high school diploma.|
|Related Experience||Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve using your knowledge and skills to help others. Examples include orderlies, counter and rental clerks, customer service representatives, security guards, upholsterers, and tellers.|
|SVP Range||(4.0 to < 6.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|37-2011.00||Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners|
|37-3011.00||Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers Bright Outlook|
|39-2021.00||Nonfarm Animal Caretakers|
|45-2093.00||Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals|
|47-2061.00||Construction Laborers Green|
|47-3011.00||Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters|
|47-5051.00||Rock Splitters, Quarry|
|49-3093.00||Tire Repairers and Changers|
|53-6031.00||Automotive and Watercraft Service Attendants|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse.
Employment data for Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse.
Industry data for Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse.
|Median wages (2019)||$12.23 hourly, $25,440 annual|
|Employment (2018)||532,300 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Slower than average (2% to 3%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||88,800|
|Top industries (2018)||
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, and Hunting (88% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.