- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, or operating office machines.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
||Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Retrieve patient medical records for physicians, technicians, or other medical personnel.
- Transcribe medical reports.
- Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations.
- Operate cash register to process cash or credit sales.
- Prepare prescription labels by typing or operating a computer and printer.
- Perform clerical tasks, such as filing, compiling and maintaining prescription records, or composing letters.
- Receive written prescription or refill requests and verify that information is complete and accurate.
- Answer telephones, responding to questions or requests.
- Price and file prescriptions that have been filled.
- Perform general office duties, such as answering telephones, taking dictation, or completing insurance forms.
- Schedule appointments for patients.
- Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests or admission.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
||Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
- Schedule appointments and procedures for animals.
- Monitor medical supplies and place orders when inventory is low.
- Perform a variety of office, clerical, or accounting duties, such as reception, billing, bookkeeping, or selling products.
||Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Perform clerical duties, such as scheduling exams or special procedures, keeping records, or archiving computerized images.
- Maintain stock and supplies, preparing supplies for special examinations and ordering supplies when necessary.
||Physical Therapist Aides
- Schedule patient appointments with physical therapists and coordinate therapists' schedules.
- Perform clerical duties, such as taking inventory, ordering supplies, answering telephone, taking messages, or filling out forms.
||Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Make appointments, keep records, or perform other clerical duties in doctors' offices or clinics.
- Inventory and requisition supplies and instruments.
||Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers
- Perform office reception duties, such as scheduling appointments or helping customers.
- Write reports, maintain research information, or perform clerical duties.
||Speech-Language Pathology Assistants
- Perform support duties, such as preparing materials, keeping records, maintaining supplies, and scheduling activities.
- Recommend and arrange for diagnostic procedures, such as blood chemistry tests, saliva tests, x-rays, or other imaging procedures.
- Perform administrative duties, such as hiring employees, ordering supplies, or keeping records.
- Order medical and laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Manage surgery services, including planning, scheduling and coordination, determination of procedures, or procurement of supplies and equipment.
||Occupational Therapy Aides
- Perform clerical, administrative, and secretarial duties, such as answering phones, restocking and ordering supplies, filling out paperwork, and scheduling appointments.
- Complete administrative tasks, such as entering orders into computer, answering telephone calls, or maintaining medical or facility information.
- Schedule appointments, prepare bills and receive payment for dental services, complete insurance forms, and maintain records, manually or using computer.