- Locate and mark reference points for columns or plates on boiler foundations, following blueprints and using straightedges, squares, transits, or measuring instruments.
- Lay out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal and locate and mark bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.
||Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Measure and mark surfaces to lay out work, according to blueprints or drawings, using tape measures, straightedges or squares, and marking devices.
- Hang dry lines to wall moldings to guide positioning of main runners.
- Lay out wall patterns or foundations, using straight edge, rule, or staked lines.
- Measure and lay out fence lines and mark posthole positions, following instructions, drawings, or specifications.
||Tile and Marble Setters
- Measure and mark surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
- Design paver installation layout pattern and create markings for directional references of joints and stringlines.
||Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Measure distance from reference points and mark guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs and levels.
||Sheet Metal Workers
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material, such as roofing panels, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, or rulers.
- Measure, mark, or record openings or distances to layout areas where construction work will be performed.
||Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Mark dimensions or outlines on stone prior to cutting, using rules and chalk lines.
||Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Measure and mark guidelines on surfaces or foundations, using chalk lines and dividers.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
||First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- Locate, measure, and mark site locations or placement of structures or equipment, using measuring and marking equipment.
||Plasterers and Stucco Masons
- Install guide wires on exterior surfaces of buildings to indicate thickness of plaster or stucco and nail wire mesh, lath, or similar materials to the outside surface to hold stucco in place.
- Mark cutting lines on materials, using pencil and scriber.
- Roll out, measure, mark, and cut carpeting to size with a carpet knife, following floor sketches and allowing extra carpet for final fitting.
||Highway Maintenance Workers
- Measure and mark locations for installation of markers, using tape, string, or chalk.
- Mark vertical guidelines on walls to align strips, using plumb bobs and chalk lines.
||Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting or threading.
||Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete or water mixes.