Details Report for:
19-3091.00 - Anthropologists and Archeologists
Study the origin, development, and behavior of human beings. May study the way of life, language, or physical characteristics of people in various parts of the world. May engage in systematic recovery and examination of material evidence, such as tools or pottery remaining from past human cultures, in order to determine the history, customs, and living habits of earlier civilizations.
The occupation code you requested, 19-3091.01 (Anthropologists), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 19-3091.00 (Anthropologists and Archeologists) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: American Indian Policy Specialist, Applied Anthropologist, Applied Cultural Anthropologist, Archaeologist, Curator, Forensic Anthropologist, Research Anthropologist, Research Archaeologist
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Analytical or scientific software — IBM SPSS Statistics ; SAS ; The MathWorks MATLAB ; Wolfram Research Mathematica (see all 14 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD
- Data base user interface and query software — Archeological Sites Management Information System ASMIS; Genealogy software; Microsoft Access ; Structured query language SQL (see all 5 examples)
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign ; Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
- Development environment software — Software development tools
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator ; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; GE Healthcare ImageQuant TL; Graphics software (see all 5 examples)
- Internet browser software — Microsoft Internet Explorer; Web browser software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software ; ESRI ArcView; Geographic information system GIS software ; Trimble Pathfinder Office (see all 7 examples)
- Object or component oriented development software — C++
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft SharePoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Apple Final Cut Express; Apple iMovie; Microsoft Windows Movie Maker; Sony Creative Software Vegas Movie Studio
- Voice recognition software — Voice activated software
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver; Facebook ; Microsoft FrontPage
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — Four wheel drive 4WD vehicles
- Augers — Bucket augers
- Bench scales
- Benchtop centrifuges — Countertop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Laboratory binocular microscopes; Oil immersion microscopes
- Calipers — Digital calipers; Sliding calipers; Spreading calipers; Vernier calipers (see all 6 examples)
- Chemiluminescence or bioluminescence analyzers — Luminescence readers
- Cold chisels
- Compressed air gun — Pneumatic airscribes
- Conductivity meters — Conductance meters; Conductivity probes
- Dental burs
- Dental probes — Dental picks
- Deoxyribonucleic sequence analyzers — Deoxyribonucleic acid DNA analyzers; Deoxyribonucleic acid DNA sequencers
- Desktop computers
- Developing tanks — Film processors
- Dictation machines — Transcription equipment
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras
- Digital voice recorders — Digital audio recorders
- Diving instruments or accessories — Scuba diving equipment
- Dropping pipettes — Laboratory dropping pipettes
- Drying cabinets or ovens — Drying ovens
- Electron microscopes — Electron microprobes
- Electronic toploading balances — Electronic topload scales
- Floor or platform scales — Platform scales
- Forestry increment borers — Tree ring sampling kits
- Freeze dryers or lyopholizers — Vacuum freeze-drying chambers
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Fume hoods; Laboratory fume hoods
- Gel boxes — Gel electrophoresis boxes
- General purpose refrigerators or refrigerator freezers — Laboratory refrigerators
- Geological compasses — Directional compasses
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Hammers — Crack hammers
- Heating or drying equipment or accessories — Drying racks; Laboratory vacuum dryers
- High pressure liquid chromatograph chromatography — High pressure liquid chromatograph HPLC equipment
- Inductively coupled plasma ICP spectrometers — Inductively coupled plasma emission spectroscopes ICP-ES
- Ion selective electrode ISE meters — Selective ion meters
- Isolation glove boxes — Laboratory glove boxes
- Laboratory balances — Laboratory precision balances
- Laboratory beakers — Glass beakers
- Laboratory burets — Glass burets
- Laboratory mixers — Thermomixers
- Laboratory scalpels
- Laboratory separators — Water screening devices
- Laboratory sifting equipment — Graded sieves; Mesh sifting screens; Shaker screens
- Land drilling rigs — Hydraulic drilling rigs
- Levels — Digital levels; Laser line levels
- Loupes — Pocket loupes
- Magnetic stirrers — Magnetic stirring bars
- Magnetometer geophysical instruments — Geophysical magnetometers
- Masks or accessories — Dust masks
- Mass spectrometers — Inductively coupled plasma mass spectroscopes ICP-MS
- Measuring tables — Alidades
- Metal detectors
- Metallurgical microscopes
- Microphones — External lavalier microphones
- Microplate readers — Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay ELISA plate readers
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- PCR enclosures — Polymerase chain reaction PCR hoods
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- pH meters — pH indicators
- Picks — Rock picks
- Plotter printers — Plotters
- Plumb bobs
- Pneumatic hammer — Pneumatic chisels
- Pneumatic sanding machines — Sandblasters
- Polarizing microscopes — Petrographic microscopes
- Power saws — Precision saws; Thin section saws
- Protective gloves
- Pullers — Slide hammers
- Radarbased surveillance systems — Ground penetrating radar GPR; Remote sensing equipment
- Resistivity geophysical instruments — Electrical resistivity instruments
- Robotic or automated liquid handling systems — Liquid handling robots
- Rulers — Precision rulers
- Scanners — Digitizers; Flatbed scanners; Laser scanners; Slide scanners
- Scanning electron microscopes — Scanning electron microscopes SEM
- Shovels — Flat-ended shovels; Round point shovels
- Soil core sampling apparatus — Soil probes; Soil samplers
- Sonars — Side scan sonars
- Spectrofluorimeters or fluorimeters — Fluorometers; X ray fluorescence XRF spectrometers
- Spectrometers — Portable gamma spectrometers
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Steam autoclaves
- Stereo or dissecting light microscopes — Stereo zoom microscopes
- Still cameras — 35 millimeter cameras
- Stirring hotplates — Hot stir plates
- Tablet computers
- Tape measures — Lufkin tape measures
- Temperature cycling chambers or thermal cyclers — Polymerase chain reaction PCR thermocyclers; Thermal cyclers
- Theodolites — Total stations
- Thermostats — Immersion thermostats
- Transilluminators — Ultraviolet UV transilluminators
- Triple beam balances
- Trowels — Marshalltown trowels; Plains trowels
- Ultra pure water systems — Laboratory water purification systems
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic cleaning machines
- Ultraviolet crosslinkers — Ultraviolet UV crosslinkers
- Underwater cameras — Underwater digital cameras; Underwater still cameras
- Vacuum ovens — Laboratory vacuum ovens
- X ray diffraction equipment — X ray diffractometers
- X ray radiography examination equipment — High resolution industrial computed tomography CT scanners; Industrial micro computed tomography CT scanners; Portable x ray machines; X ray cabinets
- Conduct anthropological or archaeological research.
- Collect information from people through observation, interviews, or surveys.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Evaluate characteristics of archival or historical objects.
- Direct scientific activities.
- Plan social sciences research.
- Advise others about environmental management or conservation.
- Inspect condition of natural environments.
- Record research or operational data.
- Collect biological specimens.
- Mark materials or objects for identification.
- Package materials or products.
- Conduct research on social issues.
- Collect archival data.
- Train personnel in technical or scientific procedures.
- Advise others on matters of public policy.
- Design psychological or educational treatment procedures or programs.
- Document events or evidence, using photographic or audiovisual equipment.
- Collaborate with technical specialists to resolve design or development problems.
- Communicate with government agencies.
- Clean objects.
- Conduct scientific research of organizational behavior or processes.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Develop theories or models of social phenomena.
- Conduct historical research.
- Apply knowledge or research findings to address environmental problems.
- Advise others on educational matters.
- Analyze forensic evidence to solve crimes.
- Instruct college students in social sciences or humanities disciplines.
- Write grant proposals.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1061.00||Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1062.00||Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1064.00||Geography Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1067.00||Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-4012.00||Curators Bright Outlook|
|25-4022.00||Librarians and Media Collections Specialists|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$31.79 hourly, $66,130 annual|
|Employment (2019)||8,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||800|
|Top industries (2019)||
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (55% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists
- American Cultural Resources Association
- American Quaternary Association
- American Schools of Oriental Research
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Gerontological Society of America
- International Council for Archaeozoology
- International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences
- National Association for the Practice of Anthropology
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Anthropologists and archeologists
- Register of Professional Archaeologists
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society
- Society for American Archaeology
- Society for Applied Anthropology
- Society for Historical Archaeology
- Society for Medical Anthropology
- Society of Africanist Archaeologists
- Southeastern Archaeological Conference
- The Geological Society of America
- World Archaeological Congress