Details Report for:
25-2023.00 - Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
Teach occupational, career and technical, or vocational subjects in public or private schools at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable laws and regulations.
Sample of reported job titles: Business Education Teacher, Business Teacher, Career and Technology Education Teacher (CTE Teacher), Computer Teacher, Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher (FACS Teacher), Industrial Arts Teacher, Industrial Technology Teacher, Teacher, Technology Education Teacher (Tech Ed Teacher), Technology Teacher
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Desire2Learn; Learning management system LMS; Sakai CLE (see all 5 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air compressors — Portable air compressors
- Air filters — Biofilters
- Air lift pump — Airlift pumps
- Art airbrushes — Airbrush sets
- Audio mixing consoles — Audio mixers
- Automatic lathe or chucking machine — Wood lathes
- Belt sander — Belt sanders
- Bench vises
- Cages or its accessories — Animal cages
- Calipers — Caliper sets
- Circuit tester — Circuit analyzers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cold chisels
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Direction finding compasses — Navigational compasses
- Disc sander — Power disc sanders
- Dissection kits or supplies — Dissection trays
- Dissolved oxygen meters — Dissolved oxygen test kits
- Domestic baking pans — Bakeware pans
- Domestic blenders — Kitchen blenders
- Domestic crock pot — Kitchen crock pots
- Domestic food processors — Kitchen food processors
- Domestic graters — Food graters
- Domestic knives — Chef's knives
- Domestic measuring cups — Measuring cup sets
- Domestic microwave ovens — Kitchen microwave ovens
- Domestic mixers — Hand mixers
- Domestic ranges — Electric ranges
- Domestic strainers or colanders — Kitchen strainers
- Egg inspection or collecting equipment — Egg candlers
- Engravers — Engraving tools
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Fire blankets — Fire suppression blankets
- Fluorescent lamps — Grow lights
- Hand clamps — Quick clamps
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Hollow punch — Hollow punch sets
- Incubators or brooders for poultry — Poultry brooders
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Ironing machines or presses — Clothes irons
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Laundry type washing machines — Domestic washers
- Levels — Laser levels
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Metal cutters — Metal cutting shears
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- Mitre box — Mitre boxes
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Multimeters — Analog multimeters
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Offset socket wrenches
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Paper punching or binding machines — Binding machines
- Pet grooming products — Animal grooming brushes
- pH meters — pH indicators
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Pipe or tube cutter — Pipe cutters
- Planters — Crop planters
- Plotter printers — Plotting printers
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Power buffers
- Power drills — Cordless drills
- Power grinders — Pedestal grinders
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Safety glasses — Protective safety glasses
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators; Scientific calculators
- Secateurs or pruning shears — Grass shears
- Shears — Sewing shears
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Stamping dies or punches — Stamping sets
- Tablet computers
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Vertical machining center — Metal lathes
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Water analyzers — Water test kits
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Apply multiple teaching methods.
- Set up classroom materials or equipment.
- Establish rules or policies governing student behavior.
- Modify teaching methods or materials to accommodate student needs.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Encourage students.
- Maintain student records.
- Monitor student performance.
- Teach others to use technology or equipment.
- Evaluate student work.
- Assign class work to students.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Enforce rules or policies governing student behavior.
- Prepare tests.
- Discuss problems or issues with supervisors.
- Discuss student progress with parents or guardians.
- Plan educational activities.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Create technology-based learning materials.
- Distribute instructional or library materials.
- Maintain inventories of materials, equipment, or products.
- Monitor student behavior, social development, or health.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Assist students with special educational needs.
- Document lesson plans.
- Develop strategies or programs for students with special needs.
- Prepare reports detailing student activities or performance.
- Collaborate with other teaching professionals to develop educational programs.
- Plan experiential learning activities.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Coordinate student extracurricular activities.
- Supervise school or student activities.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|13-1151.00||Training and Development Specialists Green|
|25-2021.00||Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education Bright Outlook|
|25-2022.00||Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-2031.00||Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-2032.00||Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School|
|25-3011.00||Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors|
|39-1021.00||First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$59,230 annual|
|Employment (2018)||12,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Slower than average (2% to 3%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||900|
|Top industries (2018)||
Educational Services (100% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Alpha Delta Kappa International Honorary Organization for Women Educators
- American Association for Vocational Instructional Materials
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- International Society for Technology in Education
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association
- Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education
- National Business Education Association
- National Education Association
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Career and technical education teachers
- Phi Delta Kappa International