Details Report for:
29-1141.03 - Critical Care Nurses
Provide advanced nursing care for patients in critical or coronary care units.
Sample of reported job titles: Burn Center Nurse; Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Registered Nurse; Catheterization Laboratory Senior Manager (Cath Lab Senior Manager); Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN); Critical Care Unit Manager; ICU Staff Nurse (Intensive Care Unit Staff Nurse); Intensive Care Unit Nurse; Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN Supervisor); Staff Nurse; Staff Nurse, ICU Resource Team (Staff Nurse, Intensive Care Unit Resource Team)
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Information retrieval or search software — American Association of Critical Care Nurses AACN Medicopeia; PEPID RN Critical Care RNCC
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR System; Epic Systems ; GE Healthcare Centricity EMR; MEDITECH software (see all 18 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Project management software — Microsoft SharePoint
- Word processing software
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Acute care fetal or maternal monitoring units or accessories — Fetal monitors
- Apnea monitors or accessories — Apnea monitors
- Arterial blood gas monitors or accessories — Arterial blood gas testing equipment
- Arterial line catheters
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED
- Autotransfusion units — Autotransfusion systems
- Bedpans for general use — Bedpans
- Blanket frames or lifters — Foot cradles
- Blood collection syringes — Blood drawing syringes
- Blood pressure cuff kits — Sphygmomanometers
- Blood warming or transfusion systems — Blood warming equipment
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors; Hemodynamic monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Transcutaneous pacemakers; Transvenous pacemakers
- Cardiac ultrasound or doppler or echo units or cardioscopes — Doppler ultrasound equipment; Echocardiogram equipment
- Central venous catheters — Multiple lumen central line catheters
- Clinical trapeze bars — Clinical trapeze traction bars
- Continuous arteriovenous dialysis CAVHD units or related products — Kidney dialysis equipment
- Continuous passive motion CPM devices or accessories — Continuous passive motion CPM equipment
- Crutches or crutch accessories — Crutches
- Desktop computers
- Diagnostic or interventional vascular catheters or sets — Angiocaths; Pulmonary artery catheters
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry monitors
- Electrocardiography EKG units — Electrocardiography EKG machines
- Electronic blood pressure units — Blood pressure monitors
- Electronic medical thermometers — Digital medical thermometers
- Emergency or resuscitation carts — Crash carts
- End tidal carbon dioxide monitors or supplies
- Endotracheal or tracheotomy sets — Tracheotomy sets
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Enema kits or accessories — Enema equipment
- Enteral feeding infusion pump tubing sets — Enteral feeding sets
- Epidural anesthesia kit or tray — Epidural catheters
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Straight hemostats
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Oxygen flowmeters
- Full body immersion hydrotherapy baths or tanks — Therapeutic whirlpool baths
- Geriatric chairs or accessories — Geriatric chairs
- Glucose monitors or meters — Blood glucometers
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Gurneys or scissor lifts — Medical gurneys
- Head or neck traction supplies — Crutchfield tongs; Halo traction equipment
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB machines — Mechanical intermittent positive pressure ventilators
- Intraaortic balloon pump and accessories — Intra-aortic balloon pumps IABP
- Intracranial pressure ICP monitoring units or accessories — Intracranial pressure monitors
- Intravenous infusion pumps for general use — Intravenous infusion pumps
- Intravenous or arterial catheter tray — Intravenous IV administration sets
- Intubator components or accessories — Intubation sets
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Graduated glass laboratory cylinders
- Laryngoscopes or accessories — Flexible laryngoscopes
- Manual resuscitators — Manual resuscitation bags
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical exam or non surgical procedure gloves — Medical examination protective gloves
- Medical incision drainage bags or reservoirs — Incision drainage equipment
- Medical nasal cannulae
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Oxygen delivery masks
- Medical staff isolation or cover gown — Protective gowns
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Protective face shields; Protective medical face masks
- Medical staple or clip removers — Surgical staple removers
- Medical suction or vacuum appliances — Nasal suctioning equipment; Oral suctioning equipment; Tracheal suctioning equipment
- Medical syringe with needle — Hypodermic syringes
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo transducers or accessories — Ultrasound transducers
- Medication or pill dispensers or accessories — Automated medicine dispensing equipment
- Multichannel intravenous infusion pumps — Multiple line infusion pumps
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Transport cardiac monitors
- Nasogastric tubes
- Nebulizer or accessories — Electronic compressor nebulizers; Handheld nebulizers
- Non invasive bi level machines — Bilevel positive airway pressure BiPAP ventilators
- Non invasive continuous positive air pressure machines — Continuous positive airway pressure CPAP ventilators
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Otoscopes
- Orthopedic splint systems — Orthopedic splinting equipment
- Orthopedic traction hardware or weights — Traction weights
- Ostomy appliances — Ostomy equipment
- Oxygen concentrators
- Patient bed or table scales for general use — Bed scales
- Patient care beds or accessories for specialty care — Specialty patient care beds
- Patient controlled analgesia infusion pumps — Patient controlled analgesia PCA pumps
- Patient floor scales — Medical scales
- Patient lifts or accessories — Hoyer lifts
- Patient shifting boards or accessories — Transfer boards
- Patient stabilization or fall prevention devices or accessories — Patient restraints
- Perfusion oxygen or hematocrit saturation monitors or accessories — Venous Oxygen Saturation SVO2 monitors
- Pericardiocentesis needles or kits or accessories — Pericardiocentesis kits
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Pleural cavity drainage unit or container or accessories — Chest drains
- Pocket calculator — Handheld calculators
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Incentive spirometers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Occlusion clamps
- Surgical irrigation sets or accessories — Surgical irrigation sets
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Surgical scalpels
- Surgical scissors — Straight surgical scissors
- Surgical shave kits or prep razors or clippers — Surgical razors
- Suture removal kits or trays or packs or sets — Suture removal kits
- Tablet computers
- Tablet crushers or accessories — Pill crushers; Pill splitters
- Therapeutic heating or cooling blankets or drapes — Cooling blankets; Hyper/hypothermia blankets
- Therapeutic ice packs or pillows — Ice collars
- Thoracentesis set or tray — Thoracentesis trays
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation units — Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation TENS equipment
- Urinalysis test strips
- Urinary catheterization kit — Urinary catheters
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Vascular or compression apparel or support — Pneumatic boots
- Vascular sequential compression devices or tubing — Sequential compression devices
- Ventricular assist devices — Ventricular assist devices VAD
- Walkers or rollators — Patient walkers
- Analyze test data or images to inform diagnosis or treatment.
- Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
- Treat medical emergencies.
- Administer intravenous medications.
- Administer non-intravenous medications.
- Operate diagnostic or therapeutic medical instruments or equipment.
- Prepare medical supplies or equipment for use.
- Monitor patient progress or responses to treatments.
- Test patient heart or lung functioning.
- Record patient medical histories.
- Develop medical treatment plans.
- Administer blood or other fluids intravenously.
- Assist healthcare practitioners during examinations or treatments.
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to plan or provide treatment.
- Collect biological specimens from patients.
- Examine medical instruments or equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Interact with patients to build rapport or provide emotional support.
- Evaluate patient functioning, capabilities, or health.
- Assess patient work, living, or social environments.
- Maintain medical or professional knowledge.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Establish nursing policies or standards.
- Conduct health or safety training programs.
- Train medical providers.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
|5||Some college, no degree|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|29-1141.01||Acute Care Nurses Bright Outlook|
|29-2031.00||Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians|
|29-2033.00||Nuclear Medicine Technologists|
|29-2041.00||Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics|
|29-2054.00||Respiratory Therapy Technicians|
|29-2061.00||Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Registered Nurses.
Employment data collected from Registered Nurses.
Industry data collected from Registered Nurses.
|Median wages (2017)||$33.65 hourly, $70,000 annual|
|Employment (2016)||2,955,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2016-2026)||Much faster than average (15% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2016-2026)||203,700|
|Top industries (2016)||
Health Care and Social Assistance (87% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2017 wage data and 2016-2026 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2016-2026). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.