Details Report for:
45-3031.00 - Fishing and Hunting Workers
Hunt, trap, catch, or gather wild animals or aquatic animals and plants. May use nets, traps, or other equipment. May haul catch onto ship or other vessel.
The occupation code you requested, 45-3011.00 (Fishers and Related Fishing Workers), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 45-3031.00 (Fishing and Hunting Workers) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: Commercial Fisherman, Commercial Fishing Vessel Operator, Deckhand, Fisherman, Fur Trapper, Hunter, Nuisance Wildlife Trapper, Trapper, Urban Wildlife Damage Control Specialist, Wildlife Control Operator
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Analytical or scientific software — DeerDays; Strat-Tech Deer Hunting Expert; Winchester Ammunition Ballistics Calculator
- Data base user interface and query software — Catchlog Trading Catchlog; OLRAC Electronic Logbook Software Solution
- Map creation software — MaxSea TIMEZERO; P-Sea WindPlot; Signet Nobeltec Catch; Trimble MyTopo Terrain Navigator Pro
- Route navigation software — MaxSea Time Zero Navigator NOAA
- Air rifles or air handguns — Tranquilizer guns
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — All terrain vehicles ATV
- Anchor lines — Anchor chains; Anchors; Chain stoppers; Mooring lines
- Anchor retrievers — Anchor release hooks
- Anchor rollers — Electric windlasses; Hand capstans; Hydraulic capstans; Hydraulic windlasses (see all 5 examples)
- Animal calls — Game calls
- Animal catching devices — Noose poles
- Archery arm guards — Bow hunting arm guards
- Archery arrows — Crossbow broadheads; Hunting arrows; Quivers
- Archery bow strings — Bow stringers; Cocking aids; Mechanical releases; String silencers
- Archery bows — Arrow rests; Bow stabilizers; Longbows; Recurve bows (see all 7 examples)
- Archery gloves — Bow hunting gloves; Finger tabs; Hand guards
- Assistive listening devices — Hearing enhancement aids
- Axes — Camp axes; Tactical axes; Throwing axes
- Bench vises — Bow presses; Gun vises
- Binoculars — Hunting binoculars
- Blocks or pulleys — Longline blocks; Snatch blocks; Trolling blocks; Wood shell blocks (see all 5 examples)
- Boathooks — Boat hooks
- Borescope inspection equipment — Bore lights; Rifle borescopes
- Calipers — Reloading calipers
- Camera tripods — Viewing equipment tripods
- Carts — Game carts; Game sleds
- Chest freezers — Bait freezers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cleaning brushes — Bore swabs
- Clock timers — Hook timers
- Commercial fish hooks — Commercial fish or shark hooks; Dehookers; Gaffs; Harpoons (see all 5 examples)
- Commercial fishing floats — Acorn buoys; Bullet buoys; Radio buoys; Toggles (see all 6 examples)
- Commercial fishing line tackle — Dogbones; Float lines; Thimbles; Trotlines (see all 9 examples)
- Commercial fishing nets — Dip nets; Gill nets; Trammel nets; Triplex trawls (see all 23 examples)
- Commercial fishing reels — Downriggers; Electric bottom-fishing reels; Longline haulers; Longline spools (see all 7 examples)
- Commercial sinkers or weights — Commercial fishing line sinkers; Planers
- Commercial use cutlery — Bone saws; Boning knives
- Compressed air gun — Pneumatic hog ring tools
- Deburring tool — Arrow squaring devices
- Dewatering pumps — Bilge pumping systems
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Bow cameras
- Dinghies — Fishing dinghies
- Direction finding compasses — Magnetic compasses
- Diving instruments or accessories — Scuba diving equipment
- Drain or pipe cleaning equipment — Pipe cleaners
- Dredgers — Fishing dredges
- Ear muffs — Hunting ear muffs
- Electronic charts or maps or atlases — Garmin Topo U.S. 100K; HuntingSouth HuntSmart
- Electronic counters — Hook counters
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first aid kits; Marine first aid equipment
- Farmers own file — Hook files
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors — Wildlife food plot spreaders
- Fire extinguishers — Marine fire extinguishers
- First aid blankets — Space blankets
- Fishing boats — Gillnetters; Large decked fishing vessels; Trollers; Undecked fishing vessels (see all 7 examples)
- Fishing lures — Fish magnets
- Fishing net haulers — Line haulers; Net haulers; Pot haulers; Shrimp winches
- Fishing rods — Fishing poles
- Flares — Distress flares
- Flashlight — Hunting flashlights
- Flat nose pliers — Hunting pliers
- Force or torque sensors — Trigger pull gauges
- Funnels — Reloading powder funnels
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Handheld global positioning system receivers GPS
- Goggles — Hunting goggles
- Gun barrel — Choke tubes
- Gun cases — Holsters; Hunting gun cases
- Handguns — Break-action pistols; Double-action revolvers; Hunting handguns; Single-action revolvers
- Hard hats — Marine hard hats
- Hatchets — Hunting hatchets
- Hoists — Cable hoists; Gambrels; Gypsy hoists
- Hydraulic hand crimp tool — Hand crimpers
- Infrared imagers — Heatseekers; Infrared game cameras
- Instrument tripods — Bipods; Shooting sticks
- Insulated or flotation suits — Immersion suits
- J hooks — J-hook tools
- Knife blades — Caper knives; Fixed blade knives; Fixed-blade knives; Fleshing knives
- Laser measuring systems — Laser sights
- Leather straps — Game straps
- Life rings — Life throw rings
- Life vests or preservers — Fishing life preservers; Personal floatation devices
- Lifeboats or liferafts — Commercial fishing vessel lifeboats; Inflatable life rafts
- Lifelines or lifeline equipment — Climbing straps
- Lifting cables — Haul lines
- Light enhancing cameras or vision devices — Night vision binoculars; Night vision goggles; Night vision scopes
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Hunting trucks
- Lighters — Fire starters
- Lighting pole or post and hardware — Propane lanterns
- Machetes — Hunting machetes
- Magnifiers — Monoculars
- Marine craft communications systems — Satellite radios; Very high frequency VHF radiotelephone systems
- Marine fenders — Foam-filled marine fenders; Pneumatic marine fenders
- Marine rudders — Drogues
- Marine signaling systems — Distress flags
- Metallic mirrors — Signal mirrors
- Micrometers — Bullet micrometers
- Mining headlamp — Headlamps
- Needlenose pliers — Fishing pliers
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Paddles — Duck boat paddles
- Parts of guns or pistols — Ammunition magazines; Cappers; Reloading presses; Trigger locks (see all 7 examples)
- Personal computers
- Pet grooming products — Fur combs
- Phone headsets — Radio headsets
- Picks — Nipple picks
- Pisciculture supplies — Fish transfer pumps
- Pocket knives — Folding knives; Survival pocket knives
- Post hole digger — Stake pullers
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Net cleaning machines
- Protective knee pads — Hunting knee pads
- Protective pants — Hunting waders
- Pull spring balances — Digital spring balance scales; Game scales
- Pullers — Arrow pullers; Arrow straighteners; Bullet pullers; Patch pullers (see all 5 examples)
- Radar reflectors — Marine radar reflectors
- Radarbased surveillance systems — Marine radar navigation systems
- Radio navigation instruments — Emergency position-indicating radio beacons; Radio direction finders RDF
- Radios — Weather alert radios
- Rangefinders — Digital laser rangefinders
- Recreational motorboats — Hunting boats
- Recreational rowboats — Fishing rowboats
- Respirators — Half-face respirators
- Restraint vests and jackets — Safety vests
- Safety glasses — Shooting glasses
- Safety harnesses or belts — Hunting safety harnesses
- Safety horns — Air horns
- Safety vests — Hunting vests
- Saws — Folding saws; Hand saws; Pack saws
- Screw hooks — Tree steps
- Screwdrivers — Gunsmith screwdrivers
- Sextants — Marine sextants
- Sharpening stones or tools or kits — Arrow sharpeners; Knife sharpeners
- Shears — Bone crushers; Fishing scissors; Game shears; Ratchet shears
- Shovels — Ice shovels
- Sifters — Dirt sifters
- Skis — Cross country skis; Snowshoes
- Slings — Wrist slings
- Snowmobiles or snow scooter — Hunting snowmobiles
- Sonars — Fathometer sonar equipment; Fish finders; Multibeam sonar equipment; Searchlight sonars
- Specialty wrenches — Broadhead wrenches; Choke tube wrenches; Nipple wrenches; Priming tools
- Sporting decoys — Dog training dummies; Hunting decoys
- Sporting rifles — Black powder pistols; Black powder revolvers; Pump action rifles; Semi-automatic rifles (see all 8 examples)
- Sporting shotguns — Hunting shotguns
- Sporting traps — Bodygrip traps; Snares; Tunnel traps; Weir traps (see all 22 examples)
- Still cameras — Trail cameras
- Storm lights — Spotlights
- Stripping tools — Arrow stripping tools
- Strobe or warning lights — Strobe lights
- Tablet computers
- Tag guns — Fish tag guns
- Telescopes — Muzzleloader scopes; Rifle scopes; Shotgun scopes; Spotting scopes
- Tents — Blinds
- Threading taps — Thread cleaning tools
- Tongs — Crab tongs; Trap setters; Trap setting tongs
- Trapshooting equipment — Dog training dummy launchers
- Trawlers — Seiners
- Trowels — Hand trowels
- Tumblers or polishers — Case tumblers
- Two way radios — Hand-held radios
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Sonic cleaners
- Utility knives — Fishing utility knives; Hunting utility knives; Skinning knives
- Water purification equipment — Water purifiers
- Winches — Deck winches
- Wire brushes — Bronze brushes; Chamber brushes
- Wire cutters — Wire rope cutters
- Wire lug crimping tool — Bench-mounted crimpers
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable cutters
- Workshop cranes — Knuckle-boom cranes
- Locate animals for fishing or hunting purposes.
- Obtain documentation to authorize activities.
- Drive trucks or other vehicles to or at work sites.
- Navigate water vessels.
- Remove skin or other body parts from animals.
- Maintain forestry, hunting, or agricultural equipment.
- Position animal trapping or capture equipment.
- Capture or kill animals.
- Sort forestry or agricultural materials.
- Package agricultural products for shipment or further processing.
- Communicate safety or hazard information to others.
- Obtain written authorization to perform activities.
- Attach equipment extensions or accessories.
- Protect wildlife or natural areas.
- Transport animals, crops, or equipment.
- Clean equipment or facilities.
- Train workers in farming, forestry, or hunting techniques.
- Load agricultural or forestry products for shipment.
- Coordinate resource procurement activities.
- Direct activities of agricultural, forestry, or fishery employees.
|Title||Job Zone One: Little or No Preparation Needed|
|Education||Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.|
|Related Experience||Little or no previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a waiter or waitress even if he/she has never worked before.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations involve following instructions and helping others. Examples include food preparation workers, dishwashers, sewing machine operators, landscaping and groundskeeping workers, logging equipment operators, and baristas.|
|SVP Range||(Below 4.0)|
|37-3011.00||Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers Bright Outlook|
|45-2092.00||Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse|
|45-2093.00||Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals|
|47-3011.00||Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters|
|47-4071.00||Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners|
|47-5051.00||Rock Splitters, Quarry|
|47-5071.00||Roustabouts, Oil and Gas|
|49-3093.00||Tire Repairers and Changers|
|53-7061.00||Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations.
Employment data for Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations.
Industry data for Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations.
|Median wages (2019)||$13.07 hourly, $27,180 annual|
|Employment (2019)||1,116,600 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Little or no change|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||159,700|
|Top industries (2019)||
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, and Hunting (81% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.