Details Report for:
47-2152.02 - Plumbers
Assemble, install, or repair pipes, fittings, or fixtures of heating, water, or drainage systems, according to specifications or plumbing codes.
Sample of reported job titles: Commercial Plumber; Drain Cleaner, Plumber; Drain Technician; Journeyman Plumber; Master Plumber; Plumber; Plumber Gasfitter; Plumbing and Heating Mechanic; Residential Plumber; Service Plumber
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Accounting software — Intuit QuickBooks ; Intuit Quicken; Job costing software; KRS Enterprises Service First! (see all 5 examples)
- Analytical or scientific software — Elite Software DPIPE; Elite Software FIRE; Klear Estimator; Quote Software QuoteExpress (see all 7 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk Building Systems; Elite Software Plumbing CAD; Elite Software Sprinkler CAD; Horizon Engineering Sigma Plumbing Calculator (see all 5 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software; Insight Direct ServiceCEO; PricePoint; Wintac Pro
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Facilities management software — Maintenance management software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Project management software — Estimating software; FastEST FastPipe; FastEST software; Vision InfoSoft Plumbing Bid Manager
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Atlas Construction Business Forms; Contractor City Contractor Forms Pack; Microsoft Word ; Wilhelm Publishing Threshold
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers — Water pump pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable slip lock nut wrenches
- Air compressors
- Ball peen hammer — Ball peen hammers
- Bandsaw wheel — Bandsaws
- Bench vises — Bench chain vises; Bench yoke vises; Tristand chain vises
- Blow torch — Acetylene torches; Butane torches; Propane torches
- Bolt cutters
- Box end wrenches — Ratcheting box wrenches
- Caulking guns
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Deburring tool — Deburring tools
- Desktop computers
- Detection apparatus for non metallic objects — Inductive clamps; Line locators; Transmitters
- Dewatering pumps — Utility pumps
- Diagonal cut pliers — Diagonal cutting pliers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Video diagnostic tools
- Drain or pipe cleaning equipment — Drain cleaning cables; Hand spinners; Power sink machine drain cleaners; Toilet augers (see all 9 examples)
- Drain or toilet plunger — Plungers
- Dump trucks
- Fluid regulators — Pipe freezing kits; Water stoppers
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detection devices
- Gas generators — Generators
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws; Mini hacksaws
- Hammer drills — Rotary hammers
- Hand reamer — Inner/outer reamers
- Heat guns
- Hex keys — Allen wrenches; Hex wrenches
- Hole saws — Hole cutting tools
- Hose cutter — Gasket cutters
- Impact hammers
- Inspection mirror — Telescopic inspection mirrors
- Laser measuring systems — Laser alignment tools
- Laser printers
- Leak testing equipment — Trutest smoke detectors
- Levels — Torpedo levels
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Light pickup trucks
- Liquid leak detectors — Ultrasonic leak detectors
- Locking pliers — Channel lock pliers; Vise grip pliers
- Metal detectors — Magnetic locators; Rebar locators
- Moisture meters
- Notebook computers
- Nut drivers — Universal nut wrenches
- Offset socket wrenches — Hollow core socket wrenches
- Oil gun — Oilers
- Open end wrenches — Crescent wrenches
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Pipe bending tools — Tube bending springs
- Pipe extractors
- Pipe or tube cutter — Pipe cutters; Power pipe cutters; Ratcheting polyvinyl chloride PVC cutters; Tubing cutters (see all 10 examples)
- Pipe reamer — Spiral ratchet pipe reamers; Straight-fluted pipe reamers
- Pipe vises — Pipe welding vises; Tripod vises
- Pipe wrenches — End pipe wrenches; Offset pipe wrenches; Straight pipe wrenches
- Plumb bobs
- Power drills — Direct tap machines; Right-angle drills
- Power flaring tool — Flaring tools
- Power grinders — Seat dressers
- Power saws — Reciprocating saws
- Pressure indicators — Air pressure gauges; Heavy duty water pressure gauges; Maximum reading water pressure gauges; Water pressure gauges (see all 5 examples)
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Rodders; Root ranger jetter nozzles; Water jetters
- Pry bars — Crowbars
- Pullers — Compression sleeve pullers; Faucet handle pullers; Faucet stem and cartridge pullers; Tub drain removers
- Ratchets — Manual ratchet threader sets
- Screwdrivers — Flat blade screwdrivers; Phillips head screwdrivers
- Sewage pumps
- Sheet metal grooving machine — Roll groovers
- Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding machine — Shielded arc welding tools
- Slip or groove joint pliers — Slip joint pliers
- Soldering iron — Soldering equipment
- Specialty wrenches — Chain wrenches; Spud wrenches; Strainer wrenches; Water heater element removal wrenches (see all 20 examples)
- Spot welding machine — Welders
- Square file — Thread repair files
- Staple guns
- Strap wrenches — Rubber strap wrenches
- Sump pumps
- Swaging tools
- Tablet computers
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes
- Tapping machine attachment — Tapping tools
- Thermographs — Non-contact infrared thermometers
- Threading die — Threading machine die heads
- Threading dies — Plastic pipe/conduit die heads
- Threading machine — Power pipe threading machines; Receding threaders; Three-way pipe threaders
- Threading taps — Pipe taps
- Tinners snips — Tin snips
- Tongs — Chain tongs
- Torque wrenches — No hub torque wrenches
- Torx keys — Four-in-one keys; Shut-off keys; Water meter keys
- Tracer or duplicating or contouring lathe — Lathes
- Trenching machines — Trenchers
- Tube end finisher — Tube crimping tools
- Two way radios
- Utility knives
- Vacuum gauges
- Vibration testers — Vibration analyzers
- Welder torch — Brazing equipment
- Welding masks — Welding hoods
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable saws
- Install plumbing or piping.
- Weld metal components.
- Record operational or environmental data.
- Inspect plumbing systems or fixtures.
- Direct construction or extraction personnel.
- Maintain plumbing structures or fixtures.
- Measure materials or objects for installation or assembly.
- Mark reference points on construction materials.
- Cut metal components for installation.
- Review blueprints or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Estimate construction project costs.
- Estimate construction project labor requirements.
- Inspect work sites to determine condition or necessary repairs.
- Install green plumbing or water handling systems.
- Cut openings in existing structures.
- Communicate with clients about products, procedures, and policies.
- Estimate materials requirements for projects.
- Install solar energy systems.
- Test green technology installations to verify performance.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|47-2152.01||Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters Bright Outlook Green|
|47-2211.00||Sheet Metal Workers|
|49-9012.00||Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door|
|49-9021.01||Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers|
|49-9021.02||Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers|
|49-9051.00||Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers|
|49-9071.00||Maintenance and Repair Workers, General|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters.
Employment data collected from Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters.
Industry data collected from Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters.
|Median wages (2018)||$25.92 hourly, $53,910 annual|
|Employment (2018)||500,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Much faster than average (11% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||66,100|
|Top industries (2018)||
Construction (75% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.