Details Report for:
51-3011.00 - Bakers
Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
Sample of reported job titles: Baker, Bakery Clerk, Bakery Manager, Cake Decorator, Dough Mixer, Machine Operator, Mixer, Pastry Chef, Processor, Scaler
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — Axxya Systems Nutritionist Pro; EGS CALCMENU; SweetWARE nutraCoster Professional
- Data base user interface and query software — At Your Service Software CostGuard; Barrington Software CookenPro; Culinary Software Services ChefTec
- Desktop publishing software — SoftCafe MenuPro
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Afcom Datasafe Computer Services FlexiBake; Sage 100 ERP; SweetWARE SmallPICS; TwinPeaks Software Visual Z-Bake (see all 7 examples)
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Inventory management software — SweetWARE stockCoster
- Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software — Enggist & Grandjean EGS F&B Control
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Time accounting software — ADP Enterprise eTIME
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air brushes — Cake decorating air brushes
- Air compressors — Portable air compressors
- Air conveyors — Pneumatic conveyors
- Bar code reader equipment — Barcode scanners
- Belt conveyors — Industrial kitchen belt conveyors
- Blast freezers — Blast chillers
- Blow torch — Propane torches
- Cake decorating equipment or moulds — Cake decorating combs; Cake decorating palette knives; Rose nails; Textured mats (see all 13 examples)
- Cappuccino or espresso machines — Cappuccino makers; Espresso makers
- Cash registers — Electronic cash registers
- Cleaning brushes — Bench brushes
- Coating machines — Icing machines; Pan greasers
- Commercial use bain maries — Bain maries
- Commercial use blenders — Industrial kitchen food blenders
- Commercial use broilers — Industrial kitchen broilers
- Commercial use cake or pie pans — Commercial cake pans; Commercial pie pans; Pan liners
- Commercial use coffee grinders — Commercial coffee grinders
- Commercial use coffee or iced tea makers — Commercial coffeemakers
- Commercial use convection ovens — Commercial kitchen convection ovens
- Commercial use cutlery — Chefs' knives; Paring knives; Pastry wheels; Serrated knives (see all 11 examples)
- Commercial use deep fryers — Doughnut fryers; Open fat kettles
- Commercial use dishwashers — Dishwashing machines
- Commercial use dough machines — Dough laminators
- Commercial use food choppers or cubers or dicers — Food dicers
- Commercial use food grinders — Bread crumbers; Nut grinders
- Commercial use food processors — Commercial kitchen food processors
- Commercial use food slicers — Bread slicers; Cake dividers; Cake levelers
- Commercial use food warmers — Chocolate warmers; Dough proofers; Food warmers; Hot cases
- Commercial use graters — Food graters; Fruit zesters
- Commercial use griddles — Industrial kitchen griddles
- Commercial use grills — Commercial food grilling equipment
- Commercial use heat lamps — Infrared food heating lamps; Sugar lamps
- Commercial use high pressure steamers — Pressurized steam cookers
- Commercial use icing sets or bags — Cake decorating tips; Cake decorating tubes; Pastry bags; Squeeze bottles
- Commercial use juicers — Juice extractors
- Commercial use ladles — Commercial baking ladles
- Commercial use measuring cups — Dry ingredient measuring cups; Liquid ingredient measuring cups; Measuring spoons
- Commercial use microwave ovens — Commercial kitchen microwave ovens
- Commercial use molds — Bakers' couches; Baking frames; Tart rings; Tart tampers (see all 11 examples)
- Commercial use ovens — Deck ovens; Direct gas fired ovens; Steam injected ovens; Tunnel ovens (see all 7 examples)
- Commercial use peelers — Produce peelers
- Commercial use pizza ovens — Pretzel ovens
- Commercial use ranges — Cooking burners; Hot plates
- Commercial use rice cookers — Rice cookers
- Commercial use rolling pins — Dough dockers; Rolling pins
- Commercial use scales — Balance scales; Digital scales; Portion scales; Weigh hoppers
- Commercial use scoops — Cookie scoops; Flour scoops
- Commercial use smokers or smoke ovens — Industrial kitchen food smokers
- Commercial use steamers — Bagel kettles; Steam kettles
- Commercial use strainers — China caps; Chinois; Kitchen strainers; Skimmers (see all 5 examples)
- Commercial use toasters — Electric salamanders; Industrial toasters
- Commercial use waffle irons — Waffle irons
- Commercial use whisks — Commercial food whisks
- Cookie cutters — Bakery cookie cutters
- Cooking machinery — Depanning machines; Egg breaking machines
- Cooling machine — Cooling tunnels; Pan cooling towers
- Crushing machinery — Sugar/spice pulverizers
- Dehydrating machinery — Food drying equipment
- Desktop computers
- Domestic apple corer — Fruit corers
- Domestic baking pans — Bread pans; Pullman loaf pans; Ramekins
- Domestic baking sheets — Baking sheets
- Domestic biscuit cutters — Biscuit dough cutters; Doughnut cutters
- Domestic bread slicing guide — Pastry slicing jigs
- Domestic cooling racks — Food cooling racks
- Domestic double boilers — Double boilers
- Domestic dough press — Manual dough presses
- Domestic food scrapers — Dough scrapers
- Domestic kitchen funnels — Pastry filling funnels
- Domestic kitchen or food thermometers — Candy thermometers; Digital food thermometers; Dough thermometers; Refrigerator thermometers
- Domestic kitchen spatulas — Bowl scrapers; Icing spreaders; Perforated grill spatulas; Straight spatulas (see all 5 examples)
- Domestic kitchen timers — Digital kitchen timers
- Domestic kitchen tongs — Kitchen tongs
- Domestic kitchen wire whips — Wire whips
- Domestic knife sharpeners — Honing steels; Sharpening stones
- Domestic mandolin — Mandolines
- Domestic muffin pans — Bakery muffin pans
- Domestic pastry brush — Pastry brushes
- Domestic pizza cutters — Pizza cutters
- Domestic sifter — Ingredient sifters
- Domestic strainers or colanders — Colanders
- Domestic tortilla bakers — Tortilla grills
- Domestic vegetable brush — Vegetable cleaning brushes
- Domestic whipped cream maker — Cream whippers; Whipped cream machines
- Domestic wooden oven paddle — Oven peels
- Double arm kneading mixers — Continuous kneading machines; Horizontal dough mixers; Planetary mixers
- Filling machinery — Cake depositors; Pastry filling machines
- Fire blankets — Fire suppression blankets
- Fire extinguishers — Kitchen fire extinguishers
- Forklifts — Lift trucks
- Forming machine — Automatic dough presses; Bagel dividers; Rotary molders; Tartlet machines (see all 20 examples)
- Hand sprayers — Spray bottles; Sprayers
- Hand trucks or accessories — Hand trucks
- Helical blade mixer — Spiral mixers; Tilt mixers
- Hoists — Dough trough hoists
- Ice cream machines
- Ice dispensers — Ice machines
- Ice shaver machines or accessories — Ice shaver
- Ink cartridges — Edible-ink cartridges
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Lifts — Oven loaders
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Pallet trucks — Pallet jacks
- Preduster — Doughnut tumblers; Flour dusters
- Processing tanks — Fermentation tanks
- Razor knives — Box cutters
- Remote reading thermometers — Probe thermometers
- Rulers — Measuring sticks
- Single screw mixers — Fork mixers
- Slicing machinery — Guillotine cutters; Reciprocating blade slicers
- Spice or salt or pepper shakers — Sugar shakers
- Tablet computers
- Walk in freezers — Industrial freezing equipment
- Walk in refrigerators — Industrial refrigeration equipment
- Wrapping machinery — Wrapping machines
- Evaluate quality of food ingredients or prepared foods.
- Adjust temperature controls of ovens or other heating equipment.
- Load materials into production equipment.
- Operate cooking, baking, or other food preparation equipment.
- Inspect food products.
- Measure ingredients or substances to be used in production processes.
- Clean production equipment.
- Maintain production or processing equipment.
- Monitor equipment operation to ensure proper functioning.
- Determine food production methods.
- Apply protective or decorative finishes to workpieces or products.
- Operate cutting equipment.
- Shape clay or dough to create products.
- Direct operational or production activities.
- Order materials, supplies, or equipment.
- Record operational or production data.
|Title||Job Zone Two: Some Preparation Needed|
|Education||These occupations usually require a high school diploma.|
|Related Experience||Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve using your knowledge and skills to help others. Examples include orderlies, forest firefighters, customer service representatives, security guards, upholsterers, and tellers.|
|SVP Range||(4.0 to < 6.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|35-1012.00||First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers|
|35-2011.00||Cooks, Fast Food|
|35-2012.00||Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria|
|35-2014.00||Cooks, Restaurant Bright Outlook|
|35-3021.00||Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food|
|51-3021.00||Butchers and Meat Cutters|
|51-9061.00||Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers Green|
|53-7064.00||Packers and Packagers, Hand|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2015)||$11.62 hourly, $24,170 annual|
|Employment (2014)||185,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Average (5% to 8%)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||53,600|
|Top industries (2014)||
Retail Trade (41% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Bakers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.