||Hoist and Winch Operators
- Move levers, pedals, and throttles to stop, start, and regulate speeds of hoist or winch drums in response to hand, bell, buzzer, telephone, loud-speaker, or whistle signals, or by observing dial indicators or cable marks.
- Start engines of hoists or winches and use levers and pedals to wind or unwind cable on drums.
- Operate compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
- Apply hand or foot brakes and move levers to lock hoists or winches.
- Tend auxiliary equipment, such as jacks, slings, cables, or stop blocks, to facilitate moving items or materials for further processing.
||Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Attach slings, hooks, or other devices to lift cargo and guide loads.
- Adjust controls to guide, position, or move equipment, such as cranes, booms, or cameras.
- Guide loads being lifted to prevent swinging.
- Control movement of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces, using chainfalls, gin poles, gallows frames, and other equipment.
- Manipulate rigging lines, hoists, and pulling gear to move or support materials such as heavy equipment, ships, or theatrical sets.
||Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Clamp holding fixtures on ends of hoisting cables.
- String cables through pulleys and blocks.
- Recover objects by placing rigging around sunken objects, hooking rigging to crane lines, and operating winches, derricks, or cranes to raise objects.
- Salvage wrecked ships or their cargo, using pneumatic power velocity and hydraulic tools and explosive charges, when necessary.
||Radio, Cellular, and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Lift equipment into position, using cranes and rigging tools or equipment, such as gin poles.
- Assemble or erect communications towers, using construction or rigging equipment.
||Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Operate controls that raise derricks or level rigs.
- Thread cables through derrick pulleys, using hand tools.
||Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Fasten structural steel members to hoist cables, using chains, cables, or rope.
- Hoist steel beams, girders, or columns into place, using cranes or signaling hoisting equipment operators to lift and position structural steel members.
||Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Push levers and brake pedals to control gasoline, diesel, electric, or steam draw works that lower and raise drill pipes and casings in and out of wells.
- Locate and recover lost or broken bits, casings, and drill pipes from wells, using special tools.
- Load and arrange glass or mirrors onto delivery trucks, using suction cups or cranes to lift glass.
- Operate cranes or hoists with suction cups to lift large, heavy pieces of glass.
||Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Operate cranes, or signal crane operators to position or remove stone from cars or saw beds.
- Turn cranks or press buttons to activate winches that move cars under sawing cables or saw frames.
||Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Lift units or parts such as motors or generators, using cranes or chain hoists, or signal crane operators to lift heavy parts or subassemblies.
- Position and level battery cells, anodes, or cathodes, using hoists or leveling jacks, or signal other workers to perform positioning and leveling.
- Start power winches that draw in or let out cables to change positions of dredges, or pull in and let out cables manually.
- Move hand and foot levers of hoisting equipment to position piling leads, hoist piling into leads, and position hammers over pilings.
||Crane and Tower Operators
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
||Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Move levers or controls that operate lifting devices, such as forklifts, lift beams with swivel-hooks, hoists, or elevating platforms, to load, unload, transport, or stack material.
||Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Operate small cranes to transport or position large parts.
||Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Move or position materials such as marble slabs, using cranes, hoists, or dollies.
||Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
- Operate automated or semi-automated hoisting devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents into openings in truck bodies.
||Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Guide cranes to move loads about decks.