Details Report for:
17-3027.00 - Mechanical Engineering Technicians
Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or calibrate machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
Sample of reported job titles: Designer, Engineering Lab Technician, Engineering Technical Analyst, Laboratory Technician, Maintenance Technician, Mechanical Designer, Mechanical Technician, Process Engineering Technician, Process Technician, Research and Development Technician
Also see: Automotive Engineering Technicians
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — ANSYS Mechanical; MSC Software Adams; Spectral Dynamics Star Acoustics; The MathWorks MATLAB (see all 6 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk Revit ; Bentley MicroStation ; Dassault Systemes CATIA; IBM CATIA V5 (see all 8 examples)
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software — CNC Mastercam; Three-dimensional 3D solid modeling software
- Development environment software — Microsoft Visual Basic ; National Instruments LabVIEW
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- Industrial control software — Computerized numerical control CNC programming software; Robotic control software; Soft Servo Systems LadderWorks PLC
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Object or component oriented development software — C++
- Office suite software — Corel WordPerfect; Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable wrenches
- Air compressors
- Ammeters — Clamp-on ammeters
- Amplifiers — High-voltage amplifiers; Linear amplifiers; Switched amplifiers
- Belt sander — Belt sanders
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Optical compound microscopes
- C clamps
- Calipers — Dial calipers; Vernier calipers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Comparators — Electronic comparators; Optical comparators
- Compression testers — Compression testing machines; Hydraulic universal testers
- Coordinate measuring machines CMM
- Cutting die — Metal cutting dies
- Cylinder gauge — Ring gauges
- Dial indicator or dial gauge — Dial indicators
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses; Punch presses
- Extruders — Extrusion machines
- Fatigue testers
- Flow sensors — Fluid meters
- Force or torque sensors — Force sensors; Torque meters
- Form tools or toolbits — Twist drills
- Gage block set — Plane-parallel gauge blocks
- Gas welding or brazing or cutting apparatus — Dry rod ovens; Gas welding equipment; Oxyacetylene welding equipment
- Go or no go gauge — Go/no-go gauges
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Graphics tablets — Digitizing tablets
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hardness testers — Durometers
- Height gauges — Vernier height gauges
- Hex keys
- Hole gauge — Bore gauges
- Horizontal turning center — Computerized numerical control CNC lathes
- Impact testers
- Induction heaters — Heat treatment furnaces
- Injection molding machines — Rotational molders
- Inverted microscopes — Metallographs
- Levels — Spirit levels
- Lifter plate — Granite surface plates
- Loadcells — Load cells
- Locking pliers
- Longnose pliers — Long nose pliers
- Manual press brake — Hand brakes
- Metal band sawing machine — Band saws
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welding equipment
- Metal markers or holders — Marking gauges
- Metal polishing machine — Polishing machines
- Metal slitting saw — Sheet metal slitters
- Metal testing instruments — Bend test fixtures; Guided bend weld test units
- Microcontrollers — Programmable logic controllers PLC
- Micrometers — Screw gauge micrometers
- Mill saw file — Mill files
- Milling machines
- Multimeters — Digital multimeters
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Nut drivers
- Offset screw driver — Offset screwdrivers
- Personal computers
- Pitch measuring instruments — Screw pitch gauges
- Plasma cutting machine — Track burning machines
- Plotter printers — Drafting plotters
- Positioning jig — Positioning jigs
- Power drills
- Power grinders — Cylindrical grinders; Pedestal grinders
- Pressure sensors
- Protective gloves — Safety gloves
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Center punches
- Rulers — Steel rules
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Slotted screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Scroll saw — Scroll saws
- Shear strength testers — Shear testers
- Shears — Power shears; Power sheet metal shears
- Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding machine — Arc welding equipment; Stick welding machines
- Signal conditioners
- Signal generators
- Sine bar — Sine bars
- Slip or groove joint pliers — Arc-joint pliers; Slip joint pliers
- Socket sets — Socket wrench sets
- Spot welding machine — Portable welding equipment; Spot welders
- Squares — Combination squares; Layout squares
- Strain gauges
- Stripping tools — Wire strippers
- Surface grinding machine — Surface grinding machines
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes
- Taper gauge — Taper plug gauges
- Taps — Metal cutting taps
- Temperature transmitters — Temperature sensors
- Tension testers — Tensile testers
- Thermal differential analyzers — Dynamic mechanical analyzers DMA
- Thickness measuring devices — Snap gauges
- Thread counters or gauges — Screw thread gauges
- Tracer or duplicating or contouring lathe — Lathes
- Tungsten inert gas welding machine — Tungsten inert gas TIG welding equipment
- Twin screw extruder — Twin-screw extruders
- Ultrasonic examination equipment — Ultrasound inspection equipment
- Universal milling machine — Combination milling machines
- Utility knives
- Vacuum molding machines — Vacuum molders
- Vacuum pumps — Freon recovery equipment
- Vertical machining center — Computerized numerical control CNC vertical milling machines
- Vibration testers
- Wave soldering machine — Soldering equipment
- Welder torch — Brazing equipment
- Welding masks
- Wire cutters
- Confer with technical personnel to prepare designs or operational plans.
- Estimate technical or resource requirements for development or production projects.
- Test products for functionality or quality.
- Review technical documents to plan work.
- Create graphical representations of mechanical equipment.
- Design industrial equipment.
- Fabricate devices or components.
- Fabricate products or components using machine tools.
- Analyze test or validation data.
- Document design or operational test results.
- Recommend technical design or process changes to improve efficiency, quality, or performance.
- Evaluate designs or specifications to ensure quality.
- Monitor the productivity or efficiency of industrial operations.
- Prepare contracts, disclosures, or applications.
- Test performance of electrical, electronic, mechanical, or integrated systems or equipment.
- Estimate operational costs.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|17-3023.01||Electronics Engineering Technicians|
|17-3023.03||Electrical Engineering Technicians|
|17-3025.00||Environmental Engineering Technicians|
|17-3029.04||Electronics Engineering Technologists|
|17-3029.09||Manufacturing Production Technicians Green|
|19-4041.02||Geological Sample Test Technicians Bright Outlook|
|49-2094.00||Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment|
|49-3011.00||Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians|
|51-4012.00||Computer Numerically Controlled Machine Tool Programmers, Metal and Plastic|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians.
|Median wages (2019)||$27.40 hourly, $56,980 annual|
|Employment (2018)||42,600 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Slower than average (2% to 3%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||4,300|
|Top industries (2018)||
Manufacturing (53% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- American Welding Society
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Mechanical engineering technicians
- Refrigeration Service Engineers Society
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers