Details Report for:
21-1012.00 - Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
Counsel individuals and provide group educational and vocational guidance services.
Sample of reported job titles: Academic Advisor, Academic Counselor, Admissions Counselor, Career Counselor, College Counselor, Guidance Counselor, School Adjustment Counselor, School Counselor, Student Development Advisor, Student Services Coordinator
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — ACT WorkKeys; Career Dimensions Focus 2; Computerized testing programs; Counseling software (see all 7 examples)
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Blackbaud The Raiser's Edge
- Data base reporting software — Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
- Data base user interface and query software — College Central Network Career Services Central; Computer-assisted career guidance software; Microsoft Access ; Student information systems SIS (see all 21 examples)
- Desktop publishing software — Microsoft Publisher
- Development environment software — Adobe Systems Adobe ActionScript
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook ; Yahoo! Email
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; Oracle PeopleSoft
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; SmugMug Flickr
- Human resources software — Oracle Taleo
- Information retrieval or search software — LexisNexis
- Instant messaging software
- Internet browser software — Microsoft Internet Explorer; Web browser software
- Medical software — Athena Software Penelope Case Management; Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Network conferencing software — Chat software
- Network monitoring software — Computer-assisted live supervision
- Office suite software — Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Blackboard Wimba; Microsoft PowerPoint ; Prezi
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint ; Palm Pal Transana; Productivity software
- Spreadsheet software — EZAnalyze; Microsoft Excel
- Video conferencing software — Citrix GoToMeeting
- Web page creation and editing software — Facebook ; LinkedIn ; Orbius; Web page design and editing software
- Web platform development software — Ext JS
- Word processing software — Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Video recorders
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Digital voice recorders — Audio recorders
- Instant messaging platform — Yahoo! Messenger
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors; Projection equipment
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Overhead projectors — Overhead display projectors
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Video cassette players or recorders — Video cassette recorders VCR
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Intervene in crisis situations to assist clients.
- Collaborate with other professionals to assess client needs or plan treatments.
- Confer with family members to discuss client treatment plans or progress.
- Counsel clients regarding interpersonal issues.
- Evaluate potential problems in home or work environments of clients.
- Counsel clients regarding educational or vocational issues.
- Counsel clients or patients regarding personal issues.
- Evaluate characteristics of individuals to determine needs or eligibility.
- Write reports or evaluations.
- Complete documentation required by programs or regulations.
- Refer individuals to educational or work programs.
- Lead classes or community events.
- Develop educational programs.
- Interview clients to gather information about their backgrounds, needs, or progress.
- Teach life skills or strategies to clients or their families.
- Plan programs to address community mental wellness needs.
- Present social services program information to the public.
- Collaborate with other professionals to develop education or assistance programs.
- Assess individual or community needs for educational or social services.
- Refer clients to community or social service programs.
- Develop educational policies.
- Maintain professional social services knowledge.
- Supervise workers providing client or patient services.
- Advise others on social or educational issues.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Develop working relationships with others to facilitate program activities.
- Assist clients in handling details of daily life.
- Train staff members in social services skills.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|19-3031.01||School Psychologists Bright Outlook|
|21-1013.00||Marriage and Family Therapists|
|21-1014.00||Mental Health Counselors|
|25-1066.00||Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1081.00||Education Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1113.00||Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-2031.00||Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education|
|25-3011.00||Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Educational, Guidance, and Career Counselors and Advisors.
|Median wages (2019)||$27.42 hourly, $57,040 annual|
|Employment (2018)||324,500 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Faster than average (7% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||37,300|
|Top industries (2018)||
Educational Services (83% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American College Counseling Association
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association
- American School Counselor Association
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- Association on Higher Education and Disability
- NASPA - Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- National Association of Colleges and Employers
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Social Workers
- National Board for Certified Counselors
- National Career Development Association
- National Education Association
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: School and career counselors