Details Report for:
47-2152.00 - Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems. Includes sprinkler fitters.
The occupation code you requested, 47-2152.01 (Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 47-2152.00 (Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: Drain Technician, Fire Sprinkler Service Technician, Pipe Fitter, Pipe Welder, Pipefitter, Plumber, Residential Plumber, Service Plumber, Sprinkler Fitter, Steamfitter
Also see: Solar Thermal Installers and Technicians
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Accounting software — Bookkeeping software; Intuit QuickBooks ; Intuit Quicken; KRS Enterprises Service First! (see all 5 examples)
- Analytical or scientific software — Bentley Systems AutoPIPE; COADE CAESAR II; Quote Software QuoteExpress; Watter Hammer Software Hytran (see all 11 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — AEC Design Group CADPIPE; Drawing and drafting software; Horizon Engineering Sigma Plumbing Calculator; ViziFlow (see all 7 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software; Insight Direct ServiceCEO; PricePoint; Wintac Pro
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Facilities management software — Maintenance management software
- Internet browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Project management software — Estimating software; FastEST FastPipe; Piping construction costs estimation software; Vision InfoSoft Plumbing Bid Manager (see all 5 examples)
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel ; PipingOffice
- Web platform development software — Microsoft Active Server Pages ASP
- Word processing software — Atlas Construction Business Forms; Contractor City Contractor Forms Pack; Microsoft Word ; Wilhelm Publishing Threshold
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers — Water pump pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable slip lock nut wrenches
- Air compressors
- Alternating current AC arc welder — Alternating current AC welding equipment
- Ball peen hammer — Ball peen hammers
- Bandsaw wheel — Bandsaws; Vertical bandsaws
- Bench vises — Bench chain vises; Bench yoke vises; Tristand chain vises
- Blocks or pulleys — Block and tackle equipment; Pulleys
- Blow torch — Acetylene torches; Air-acetylene torches; Butane torches; Cutting torches (see all 5 examples)
- Bolt cutters
- Box end wrenches — Ratcheting box wrenches
- Caulking guns
- Circuit tracers — Wire tracers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Cold chisels
- Conventional truck cranes — Truck cranes
- Cutting die — Metal cutting dies
- Deburring tool — Deburring tools
- Demolition hammers — Pavement stompers; Power hammers
- Depth gauges — Pit depth gauges
- Desktop computers
- Detection apparatus for non metallic objects — Inductive clamps; Line locators; Transmitters
- Dewatering pumps — Utility pumps
- Diagonal cut pliers — Diagonal cutting pliers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Video diagnostic tools
- Direct current DC arc welder
- Drain or pipe cleaning equipment — Drain cleaning cables; Hand spinners; Power sink machine drain cleaners; Toilet augers (see all 9 examples)
- Drain or toilet plunger — Plungers
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses
- Dump trucks
- Flow sensors — Flow gauges
- Fluid regulators — Pipe freezing kits; Water stoppers
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detection devices
- Gas generators — Generators
- Gas welding or brazing or cutting apparatus — Oxyacetylene welding equipment; Plasma cutting guides; Torch cutter guides
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws; Hand hacksaws; Mini hacksaws; Power hacksaws
- Hammer drills — Rotary hammers
- Hand reamer — Inner/outer reamers; Reamers
- Heat guns
- Hex keys — Allen wrenches; Hex wrenches
- Hoists — Chain falls; Tirfors; Tuggers
- Hole saws — Hole cutting tools
- Hose cutter — Gasket cutters
- Hydraulic truck cranes — Hydraulic cranes
- Impact hammers
- Impact wrenches — Hydraulic valve turners
- Inspection mirror — Telescopic inspection mirrors
- Jacks — Pipeline jacks
- Laser measuring systems — Laser alignment tools; Pipe lasers
- Laser printers
- Leak testing equipment — Trutest smoke detectors
- Level sensors or transmitters — Transit levels
- Levels — Laser levels; Pocket levels; Torpedo levels; Two-hole pins (see all 8 examples)
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Light pickup trucks
- Liquid leak detectors — Leak-testing gauges; Ultrasonic leak detectors
- Locking pliers — Channel lock pliers; Vise grip pliers
- Manlift or personnel lift — Manlifts
- Metal detectors — Magnetic locators; Null locators; Rebar locators
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Metal markers or holders — Centering head tools; Magnetic circle layout tools; Radius markers
- Micrometers — Quality control QC welders' gauges
- Mill saw file — Single-cut mill saw files
- Moisture meters
- Mud pumps
- Notebook computers
- Nut drivers — Universal nut wrenches
- Offset socket wrenches — Hollow core socket wrenches
- Oil gun — Oilers
- Open end wrenches — Crescent wrenches
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Pipe bending mandrel — Pipe bending mandrels
- Pipe bending tools — Manual pipe benders; Tube bending springs
- Pipe extractors
- Pipe or tube cutter — Pipe cutters; Power pipe cutters; Ratcheting polyvinyl chloride PVC cutters; Tubing cutters (see all 10 examples)
- Pipe reamer — Spiral ratchet pipe reamers; Straight-fluted pipe reamers
- Pipe vises — Pipe welding vises; Stands; Tripod vises; Welding clamps
- Pipe wrenches — End pipe wrenches; Offset pipe wrenches; Straight pipe wrenches
- Plumb bobs
- Pneumatic grinders — Air operated grinders; Angle air grinders; Pneumatic pipe bevelers
- Pneumatic hammer — Jackhammers
- Power drills — Direct tap machines; Right-angle drills
- Power flaring tool — Flaring tools; Pipe flaring tools
- Power grinders — Offset grinders; Pedestal grinders; Portable grinders; Seat dressers (see all 5 examples)
- Power saws — Circular saws; Reciprocating saws
- Pressure indicators — Air pressure gauges; Heavy duty water pressure gauges; Maximum reading water pressure gauges; Pressure gauges (see all 7 examples)
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Rodders; Root ranger jetter nozzles; Water jetters
- Pry bars — Crowbars
- Pullers — Compression sleeve pullers; Faucet handle pullers; Faucet stem and cartridge pullers; Tub drain removers
- Ratchets — Jam-proof ratchet threaders; Manual ratchet threader sets
- Safety harnesses or belts — Safety harnesses
- Saws — Metal hand saws
- Screwdrivers — Flat blade screwdrivers; Flat head screwdrivers; Impact screwdrivers; Phillips head screwdrivers
- Sewage pumps
- Shears — Pipe fabrication shears
- Sheet metal grooving machine — Roll groovers
- Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding machine — Shielded arc welding tools
- Skid steer loaders — Skip loaders
- Slings — Material-hoisting slings
- Slip or groove joint pliers — Slip joint pliers
- Soldering iron — Soldering equipment
- Specialty wrenches — Chain wrenches; Spud wrenches; Strainer wrenches; Water heater element removal wrenches (see all 21 examples)
- Spot welding machine — Portable welding machines; Welders
- Square file — Thread repair files
- Squares — Combination squares; Framing squares
- Staple guns
- Strap wrenches — Nylon strap wrenches; Rubber strap wrenches
- Sump pumps
- Swaging tools
- Tablet computers
- Tachometers — Hand tachometers
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes
- Tapping machine attachment — Tapping tools
- Taps — Metal cutting taps
- Thermographs — Non-contact infrared thermometers
- Threading die — Threading machine die heads
- Threading dies — Drophead dies; Pipe threaders; Plastic pipe/conduit die heads
- Threading machine — Pipe threading machines; Power pipe threading machines; Receding threaders; Three-way pipe threaders
- Threading taps — Pipe taps
- Tinners snips — Tin snips
- Tongs — Chain tongs
- Torque wrenches — No hub torque wrenches
- Torx keys — Four-in-one keys; Shut-off keys; Water meter keys
- Tracer or duplicating or contouring lathe — Lathes
- Trenching machines — Trenchers
- Tube end finisher — Tube crimping tools
- Tungsten inert gas welding machine — Tungsten inert gas TIG welding equipment
- Two way radios
- Utility knives
- Vacuum gauges
- Vibration testers — Vibration analyzers
- Voltage or current meters — Amp meters
- Water pumps
- Water samplers
- Welder torch — Brazing equipment
- Welding masks — Welding hoods
- Wheel loaders — Loaders
- Wire brushes — Air wire brushes; Pneumatic wire brushes
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable saws
- Cut metal components for installation.
- Fabricate parts or components.
- Create construction or installation diagrams.
- Inspect plumbing systems or fixtures.
- Install plumbing or piping.
- Weld metal components.
- Plan layout of construction, installation, or repairs.
- Maintain plumbing structures or fixtures.
- Clean equipment or facilities.
- Select construction materials.
- Install gauges or controls.
- Inspect work sites to identify potential environmental or safety hazards.
- Record operational or environmental data.
- Install green plumbing or water handling systems.
- Direct construction or extraction personnel.
- Mark reference points on construction materials.
- Measure materials or objects for installation or assembly.
- Review blueprints or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Estimate construction project costs.
- Estimate construction project labor requirements.
- Inspect work sites to determine condition or necessary repairs.
- Cut openings in existing structures.
- Operate pumps or compressors.
- Repair worn, damaged, or defective mechanical parts.
- Remove parts or components from equipment.
- Replace worn, damaged, or defective mechanical parts.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
|47-2211.00||Sheet Metal Workers|
|49-9012.00||Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door|
|49-9021.00||Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers|
|49-9051.00||Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers|
|49-9071.00||Maintenance and Repair Workers, General Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2020)||$27.08 hourly, $56,330 annual|
|Employment (2020)||469,900 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)||Average (5% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||51,000|
|Top industries (2020)||
Construction (74% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2020-2030 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Fire Sprinkler Association
- American Welding Society
- Home Builders Institute
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Mechanical Contractors Association of America
- National Association of Home Builders
- National Center for Construction Education and Research
- National Fire Protection Association
- National Fire Sprinkler Association
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters
- Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors Association
- United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry
- United Steelworkers