Details Report for:
47-3013.00 - Helpers--Electricians
Help electricians by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
Sample of reported job titles: Cable Puller, Electrician Helper, Electrician's Helper
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Computer aided design CAD software — Computer-aided drafting or design software
- Data base user interface and query software — Recordkeeping software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Report generation software
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches
- Air compressors
- Articulating boom lift — Bucket trucks
- Banders — Cable tie guns
- Blocks or pulleys — Block and tackle equipment
- Blow torch — Cutting torches
- Bolt cutters — Insulated bolt cutters
- Boring machines — Horizontal boring tools
- Cable accessories — Bear claw wire threaders; Cable lacing needles
- Cable reels
- Cable splicing kits — Cable splicing knives
- Calibrated inductance coils or boxes — Inductance testers
- Calibrated resistance measuring equipment — Resistance bridges
- Capacitance meters — Capacitance testers
- Circuit tester — Continuity testers; Growlers; Loop PSC testers; Residual current device RCD testers
- Circuit tracers — Circuit test meters
- Compactors — Pneumatic compacting equipment
- Conduit benders — Hydraulic conduit benders; Manual conduit benders; Power conduit benders
- Deburring tool — Conduit deburring tools
- Desktop computers
- Diagonal cut pliers — Diagonal cutting pliers
- Drilling machines — Drill presses
- Dump trucks
- End cut pliers — Side cutting pliers
- Fish tape — Fish tape pullers; Wire pullers
- Fuse pullers
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detection devices
- Gas generators — Generators
- GFI circuit testers — Ground fault circuit interrupter GFCI testers
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hand reamer — Tapered reamers
- Hand trucks or accessories — Handtrucks
- Heat guns
- Hex keys — Hex key sets
- Hoists — Hoist trucks; Line trucks
- Hole saws — Circle cutters
- Impact wrenches — Electric impact drivers
- Impedance meters — Transfer impedance meters
- Insulated screwdriver — Insulated screwdrivers
- Label making machines — Cable labeling machines
- Light bulb changer — Extension lamp extractors
- Linemans pliers — Insulated pliers; Lineman's pliers
- Locking pliers — Conduit locknut and reaming pliers
- Longnose pliers — Long nose pliers
- Magnetic tools — Lighted magnet pickups; Telescoping lighted pickups
- Manlift or personnel lift — Electric manlifts
- Metal detectors — Magnetic locators; Metal locators
- Multimeters — Digital multimeters
- Nibblers — Nibbler cutting tools
- Notebook computers
- Nut drivers — Insulated nutdrivers
- Offset socket wrenches — Double-end can socket wrenches
- Open end wrenches — Crescent wrenches
- Personal computers
- Phasemeters — Phase rotation meters
- Pipe or tube cutter — Polyvinyl chloride PVC cutters
- Plumb bobs
- Pneumatic hammer — Airhammers; Jackhammers
- Post hole digger — Post drivers
- Power drills — Cordless drills
- Protective gloves — Cable gripping gloves
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Punchdown tools
- Retaining ring pliers — External snap ring pliers; Internal snap ring pliers
- Screwdrivers — Cabinet tip screwdrivers; Phillips head screwdrivers; Screw-holding screwdrivers
- Socket sets — Insulated socket sets
- Soldering iron — Soldering irons
- Specialty wrenches — Insulated wrenches
- Spot welding machine — Welders
- Stamping dies or punches — Punches
- Strap wrenches
- Stripping tools — Automatic wire strippers; Wire stripping pliers
- Tampers — Compaction tampers
- Tape measures
- Thermographs — Infrared scanners
- Threading dies — Pipe threaders
- Threading taps
- Tongue and groove pliers
- Track excavators — Excavators
- Trenching machines — Air spades; Trenchers
- Two way radios
- Utility knives — Electricians' knives; Insulated knives
- Voltage or current meters — Current clamps; Non-contact voltage sensors; Voltage meters
- Welding masks — Welding hoods
- Wheel bulldozers — Bulldozers
- Wire cutters — Electricians' snips
- Wire lug crimping tool — Hand operated indentors; Heavy duty crimping tools; Wire crimpers
- Wire or cable cutter — Cable cutters; Insulated cable cutters; Power cable cutters; Ratcheting cable cutters
- Wire wrapping tool — Wire wrap guns
- Cut metal components for installation.
- Measure materials or objects for installation or assembly.
- Test electrical equipment or systems to ensure proper functioning.
- Install electrical components, equipment, or systems.
- Repair electrical equipment.
- Inspect electrical or electronic systems for defects.
- Thread wire or cable through ducts or conduits.
- Fabricate parts or components.
- Clean work sites.
- Drill holes in construction materials.
- Maintain construction tools or equipment.
- Move construction or extraction materials to locations where they are needed.
- Order construction or extraction materials or equipment.
- Assemble temporary equipment or structures.
- Dig holes or trenches.
- Remove debris or vegetation from work sites.
- Position construction or extraction equipment.
- Break up rock, asphalt, or concrete.
- Weld metal components.
- Apply paint to surfaces.
|Title||Job Zone Two: Some Preparation Needed|
|Education||These occupations usually require a high school diploma.|
|Related Experience||Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve using your knowledge and skills to help others. Examples include orderlies, forest firefighters, customer service representatives, security guards, upholsterers, and tellers.|
|SVP Range||(4.0 to < 6.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|47-2031.01||Construction Carpenters Bright Outlook|
|47-2053.00||Terrazzo Workers and Finishers|
|47-2132.00||Insulation Workers, Mechanical|
|47-3015.00||Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters|
|47-4061.00||Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators|
|49-3043.00||Rail Car Repairers|
|49-9011.00||Mechanical Door Repairers|
|49-9098.00||Helpers--Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Workers|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2016)||$14.20 hourly, $29,530 annual|
|Employment (2014)||69,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Much faster than average (14% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||21,100|
|Top industries (2014)||
Construction (93% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2016 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Construction laborers and helpers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.