||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Perform maintenance work such as cleaning and oiling machines.
- Smooth and clean inner surfaces of molds, using brushes, scrapers, air hoses, or grinding wheels, and fill imperfections with refractory material.
- Install dies onto machines or presses and coat dies with parting agents, according to work order specifications.
- Obtain and move specified patterns to work stations, manually or using hoists, and secure patterns to machines, using wrenches.
- Select and install blades, tools, or other attachments for each operation.
||Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Install and adjust blades, cutterheads, boring-bits, or sanding-belts, using hand tools and rules.
- Select knives, saws, blades, cutter heads, cams, bits, or belts, according to workpiece, machine functions, or product specifications.
- Clean or maintain products, machines, or work areas.
- Attach and adjust guides, stops, clamps, chucks, or feed mechanisms, using hand tools.
||Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Position, secure, and align cutting tools in toolholders on machines, using hand tools, and verify their positions with measuring instruments.
- Select cutting tools and tooling instructions, according to written specifications or knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Install holding fixtures, cams, gears, and stops to control stock and tool movement, using hand tools, power tools, and measuring instruments.
- Mount attachments, such as relieving or tracing attachments, to perform operations, such as duplicating contours of templates or trimming workpieces.
||Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Select nozzles, spacers, and wire guides, according to diameters and lengths of rods.
- Help production workers by performing duties of lesser skill, such as supplying or holding materials or tools, or cleaning work areas and equipment.
- Clean and lubricate equipment.
- Position spouts or chutes of storage bins so that containers can be filled.
- Wash work areas, machines, equipment, vehicles, or products.
||Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Clean and maintain extruding and forming machines, using hand tools.
- Remove polymer deposits from spinnerettes and equipment, using silicone spray, brass chisels, and bronze-wool pads.
- Remove excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines, using hand tools.
- Wipe finish rollers with cloths and wash finish trays with water when necessary.
||Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
- Select appropriate pressing machines, based on garment properties such as heat tolerance.
- Clean and maintain pressing machines, using cleaning solutions and lubricants.
- Select, install, and adjust machine components, including pressing forms, rollers, and guides, using hoists and hand tools.
||Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Hold or position spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Clean machines, related equipment, and work areas, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.
- Attach and align machine parts such as rollers, guides, brushes, and blades, using hand tools.
||Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Select, install, and adjust alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using templates, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
- Move controls or mount gears, cams, or templates in machines to set feed rates and cutting speeds, depths, and angles.
- Perform minor machine maintenance, such as oiling or cleaning machines, dies, or workpieces, or adding coolant to machine reservoirs.
||Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Mount and bolt sawing blades or attachments to machine shafts.
- Lubricate or clean machines, using wrenches, grease guns, or solvents.
- Select saw blades, types or grades of stock, or cutting procedures to be used, according to work orders or supervisors' instructions.
||Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Clean dies, arbors, compression chambers, and molds, using swabs, sponges, or air hoses.
- Select and install machine components, such as dies, molds, and cutters, according to specifications, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Install, align, and adjust neck rings, press plungers, and feeder tubes.
||Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Select and install machine components, such as cutting blades, rollers, and templates, according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Clean and lubricate cutting machines, conveyors, blades, saws, or knives, using steam hoses, scrapers, brushes, or oil cans.
- Change or replace saw blades, cables, cutter heads, and grinding wheels, using hand tools.
||Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Disassemble, clean, and reassemble sprayers or power equipment, using solvents, wire brushes, and cloths.
- Select the correct spray gun system for the material being applied.
- Clean equipment and work areas.
||Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Select, position, align, and bolt jigs, holding fixtures, guides, or stops onto machines, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Clean, lubricate, maintain, and adjust equipment to maintain efficient operation, using air hoses, cleaning fluids, and hand tools.
- Select torch tips, alloys, flux, coil, tubing, or wire, according to metal types or thicknesses, data charts, or records.
||Etchers and Engravers
- Start machines and lower cutting tools to beginning points on patterns.
- Insert cutting tools or bits into machines and secure them with wrenches.
- Select and insert required templates into pattern frames beneath the stylus of a machine cutting tool or router.
||Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
- Clean or degrease parts, using wire brushes, portable grinders, or chemical baths.
||Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Add treating or neutralizing agents to products, and pump products through filters or centrifuges to remove impurities or to precipitate products.
- Drain equipment, and pump water or other solutions through to flush and clean tanks or equipment.
- Flush or clean equipment, using steam hoses or mechanical reamers.
||Sewing Machine Operators
- Perform equipment maintenance tasks such as replacing needles, sanding rough areas of needles, or cleaning and oiling sewing machines.
- Mount attachments, such as needles, cutting blades, or pattern plates, and adjust machine guides according to specifications.
||Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Perform routine equipment maintenance such as cleaning and lubricating machines or replacing broken needles.
- Position dies on material in a manner that will obtain the maximum number of parts from each portion of material.
||Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Select and install cutting tools and other accessories according to specifications, using hand tools or power tools.
- Mount attachments and tools, such as pantographs, engravers, or routers, to perform other operations, such as drilling or boring.